Is Wolf ammo in 7.62x39 viable?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glocknut, Apr 21, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I see that Wolf ammo has two offerings in 7.62x39... a regular offering and what they call classic military.

Are either of these two viable for an AK47? I know i wouldn't want to use Wolf ammo in a 223 or other calibers but i faintly remember someone saying it might be viable in the AK?

Is Wolf ammo loaded on the light side?

Opinions?

mike
    gn

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

While there might be variations in what is imported to the US, I have fired 7.63x39 Wolf out of an AKM and had no problems whatsoever. I have some of it now, but in the UK can only use it out of a bolt action! I did notice a change in the packaging to a sportier picture, but still in the same tight bricks.

I doubt it is loaded on the light side..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009

3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I've read and been told that the "classic military" stuff is better. It shoots in my SKS flawlessly. :D

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

It is loaded slightly lighter than quality ammo.

Wolf used a lacquer coating on their steel cases in the past to prevent rust and aid in feeding. This gave the steel a green / olive appearance. More recent Wolf ammo uses a polymer coating for the same purpose as the lacquer. This is clear and leaves the steel with the grey color.

I believe the difference between regular Wolf and "Military Classic" is that the Military Classic uses the old lacquer coating while the regular uses the standard polymer. Either one will work fine. Use what is cheapest.

Wolf is a good choice for plinking with AK and SKS variants. The 7.62x39 case is quite tapered and that aids in feeding / extraction.

5. 312shooter

312shooter Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd be too concearned considering 7.62x39 ballistics. Loaded hot or minimun the accuracy is poor in either scenario. I have one myself and I'd consider the ballistics are that of a 30-30 at best, this is stated in the Lyman relaoding manual as well. As long as your action is cycling that's all I'd worry about.

6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I have a case of 1,000 rounds of the Wolf MC 124gr JHP but haven't fired any of it yet:( but I do know that the Wolf Military Classic 124gr JHP uses the Russian 8m3 round. Think of a 7.62x39 that yaws and fragments somewhat like the 5.56. I've seen pictures of fired and recovered rounds. The bullet mushrooms out very nicely, and the top third of the round fragments.

7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Not sure about every version of their ammo, but in my experience Wolf doesn't deform or fragment reliably. Instead of a common thin copper jacket, they use a bi-metal alloy that is thicker and stronger. I've seen recovered 5.56 rounds that hit ballistic gelatin at over 3000 fps. They were slightly bent, but the jacket was not broken. I would only use Wolf for plinking.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had a Romanian AK for several years and used Wolf, Bear (Silver or Brown), and military surplus ammo and it ate all of it without any problems. If I remember right, a military firearm has less tolerance and therefore will shoot just about anything.

9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Every thing I have on ballistics tables lists the 7.62X39 right alongside the 30-30. I deer hunt with an SKS, and though using Federal Soft Points for years, I did a little work on the Wolf brand of ammo, since it is what I shoot the most. I fired severl rounds into a clay bank, and then recovered them. They appeared to work just fine. Last year I did take one spike with the Wolf HP. The bullet worked well, it expanded as it should have and removed about 4" of back bone, just above the shoulders. I would not hesitate to shoot another deer with the Wolf brand ammo.

10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Mike, try to avoid the lacquer coated crap unless you just really love cleaning that thing....

Crpdeth

11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I've heard that too about the earlier Wolf ammo. The 122 gr JHP in the black box doesn't fragment well from what I hear. But I've heard from a few sources that the 124gr Military Classic in the camo box fragments very well. I think I'll go to a friend's property and put a few rounds of the 124gr Wolf JHP into some milk jugs and see what happens;)

12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Be sure to let us know. I'd like to know more about the differences in the various versions they offer.

13. 312shooter

312shooter Well-Known Member

I didn't say it would not kill a deer thats for sure, accuracy and trajectory is just poor for today's standards. Then open the book of "hunting ethics" and people really get PO'd when they find out you're shooting them with an assaut weapon, 7.62x39 is a fun round to shoot. I have relatives that deer hunt with atl-atl's and spears and make kills!