The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago, I found and bought an Ishapore Enfield 7.62mm 2A Mk 7 "Jungle Carbine" while walking around a local Swap meet. It's a huge affair that sets up beginning in late October until March. The last few months, I'd visit there and that's where I found the M44 Mosin/Nagant earlier.

Occasionally, I'd see a few .303s being offered...some full stocked or sporterized but wasn't interested. (already have one) However, I have been looking for a Ishapore RFI SMLE Mk III in 7.62mm Nato for some years. Ever since my husband introduced me to shooting modern rifles with his .303 (after we married four decades ago) I grew to love the quick, smoother Enfield action compared to the Mauser/Springfields friends would use.

No offense to Mauser/Springfield users...;)

But .303 ammo has become harder to find and more expensive. Then back in the 90s, a friend came to visit and showed me his Ishapore SMLE in .308 NATO and explained why and how the Indian Army came to make these. So I Knew these were not merely .303 smle "conversions" like some thought. The 2A/2A1 were built from the ground up using newer, better steel for the NATO round. Yet they kept the classic SMLE style. I kept my eyes out ever since for one.

Back to mine. It looks similar to this photo

Mine is stamped "1965" and "7.62mm 2A"... so it comes with the earlier .303 long range (2000 yards/meters) ramp sights instead of the later 2A1 "800 meters". I am not sure if the vendor knew what he had. Probably thought it was a standard .303.

But I did. Behind the flashhider on the side of the barrel was stamped in small letters "N.A. Ridgeway, New Jersey..... This was one of the "Gibbs/Navy Arms" long Ishapore rifle conversions to a "Mk 7 carbine" length. I wished it was left in its original length but wasn't going to pass this Ishapore up after searching for so long. (Saw a full length one in a gun shop early last year for $400 but didn't have the money then)

We got to talking a bit while I looked at his other guns. I think I surprised the vendor how I handling them. Most guys do not expect a woman to know about such things. It was his last day and would be packing up soon. He said "offer me a price". All I had was $150 and took the gamble. It followed me home.

The wood is darker than the image's but in very good/excellent condition. Has a "S arrow A" stamped in one side of the shoulder stock. Overall it has some minor dings from being used and has one small wood repair near the black painted aluminum butt plate. Probably done at the RFI Armory. Yet this adds to the rifle's "battle use look", I feel. As far as I know, it may have been used in battle in its long form before the barrel/stock was cut down by Gibbs/Navy Arms into its present form. It still has the black protective paint the Indian Army used.

Metal work is excellent and All numbers matched. The bore is shiny with excellent rifling. The action is smooth and quick as it should be.

It has a better balance than the M44 Mosin/Nagant, I picked earlier this year. Bought a few 308 Nato stripper clips and will try it out later this week at a local range.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well that's one gnarly looking litttle piece . I too have been looking for one of these , to go along with my Santa Fe No. 5 , 303 . You just about stole that thing , I'm surprised the cops didn't come to your house ! LOL The nice thing about the 2A is that it doesn't have that narrow "recoil pad" on it ! enjoy . Being in .308 Win. doesn't hurt anything either , of course . There's much more surplus . 308 around than .303 Brit !

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Good find. You never know what might turn up at a gun show.
A few years ago I bought a Gibbs Jungle carbine just because of the cool factor. It is a hoot to shoot. It is chambered in .308. crappy pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Even though you stole it, I like it. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To TheGunClinger: So that's a "Gibbs" version. That's a Purty "crappy pic" ;)

To the others, Yes "lucky, lucky, lucky" after reading what these were going for now. Through the online Gun Auction houses, I have seen the "Mk 7" go for over $350. Even the full stocked ones.

I know Ishapores are still available to order through local gun stores but not at the old 1990s prices. More like $200 now depending on condition, one gun store owner told me. Then you have any fees and the sales taxes to pay.

Compared to the number of .303 SMLEs that have been built and still available, the Ishapores 2A/2A1 versions are a "drop". And they aren't made anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts