The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've just gotten into collecting milsurp firearms (your basic mosins, mausers, etc.) and I recently purchased this sporterized 1966 Ishapore (7.62 NATO). I'm pretty sure I overpaid for it but in I've always wanted one and got a little trigger happy (no pun intended). Anyways, the previous owner coated all the metal in a black or olive gray paint/finish and cut the stock. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get original stock pieces for an Ishapore so I can try my best to get it back to original condition (even though I'm pretty sure the paint will never come off). I like the look of the old Enfields and even if I spend a little more than the rifle is worth, I'd like to get it close to what it originally was. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are places out there. A good startpage.com seach will help. SARCO, Gunparts and others have them and even ebay or the other unnamed auction sites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are places out there. A good startpage.com seach will help. SARCO, Gunparts and others have them and even ebay or the other unnamed auction sites.[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks, I'll have a look around

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Interesting project! Never heard of anyone restoring an Ishapore. I like your idea. Parts are plentiful out there. Heck - India made lots of those AND Number 1 Mark 3s. Good luck - and be sure to post pictures of your rifle when you have it finished.

BTW - that paint WILL come off. Hopefully the metal was just painted-over and not sanded of buffed. A little turpentine or any paint remover from Home Depot or Ace Hardware and a rag will do the trick. Just be sure to scrub the metal down and oil the daylights out of it afterwards to keep it from rusting. (I'd bought an old Stevens double barrel years ago that was painted over like you rifle is - and lucked out because the bluing underneath was perfect.)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Don't forget the upper handguards, rings, and other hardware bits.

·
TFFWPP President
13,477 Posts
Jack First in Rapid City SD might have stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts