The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot Trap with my 520, but only Singles.

Every time I shoot doubles, part #53 (see here: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...Fox-33479/Shotguns-40503/520-41348.htm?page=5 ) disconnects from the block, so the foregrip just slides back and forth! This ONLY happens when I have one in the barrel, and one in the magazine. I shoot the one in the barrel, and then PUMP, and thats when it disconnects!

I have never had this issue with just singles. I normally insert the shell right into the barrel, and then close the breech. Also can also load it from the bottom, or from the magazine tube... but only with ONE shell. If I SHOOT, then cycle ANOTHER shell, the handle disconnects. It seems the gun knows when there is 2!

I have checked and rechecked for worn parts, but nothing looks particularly worn down. Also everything is nice and tight including the front of the magazine tube that if twisted lets you take the gun apart. I have tried to recreate the issue with snap caps with no avail.

Anyone run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Welcome to TFF.
It sounds like either your Magazine nut or your Operating handle bar is worn out.
The mag nut holds the operating bar up and in the bolt and the tab on the end of the operating handle fits in the bolt. So if it is just coming lose one or the other is worn out.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to TFF.
It sounds like either your Magazine nut or your Operating handle bar is worn out.
The mag nut holds the operating bar up and in the bolt and the tab on the end of the operating handle fits in the bolt. So if it is just coming lose one or the other is worn out.
Mike
Thanks! The magazine nut seems to be very tightly screwed in. Though this was a separate issue when i first got the gun. I always make sure its nice and tight before firing. I put about 50-75 rounds through the gun and its still securely in place.

But when I first got the gun the grip would disconnect more frequently BECAUSE the magazine nut was barely twisted into place at all.

So it must be the other part then

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Thanks! The magazine nut seems to be very tightly screwed in. Though this was a separate issue when i first got the gun. I always make sure its nice and tight before firing. I put about 50-75 rounds through the gun and its still securely in place.

But when I first got the gun the grip would disconnect more frequently BECAUSE the magazine nut was barely twisted into place at all.

So it must be the other part then
When I say the nut is worn I am talking about the slot that the Operating bar goes thru. If the slot is worn on the bottom of the slot then it will not hold the bar up tight.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say the nut is worn I am talking about the slot that the Operating bar goes thru. If the slot is worn on the bottom of the slot then it will not hold the bar up tight.
Mike
Ah! Got it, so if the bar is allowed to move downwards at all, it can become disconnected. Hmm I will see if maybe I can find a replacement? I am just curious to know why it only happens when shooting more than one shell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi comradequiche,
I realize this is an old thread and I am in NO WAY a gunsmith but I just worked on my brothers 520 (ca. 1926 - 27). It was our Grandfathers and since it isn't an expensive gun, I had at it. He was having the same problem and left it to me to check. I looked at how the Operating bar and Bolt interacted and YES I slightly bent the bar upwards. I cycled it many time and now it only let loose once in a while. Then I took a micro file and filed some of the metal off of the groove just to see if that would help it stay seated. This seemed to work! I then cycled it dozens of times in every/any position and it hasn't let loose yet. This was just last weekend and the gun has not been fired yet.
20201010_153033[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
The guy you are "talking" to hasn't been here in 5 years. The chances of him answering you is relatively slim.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Hi comradequiche,
I realize this is an old thread and I am in NO WAY a gunsmith but I just worked on my brothers 520 (ca. 1926 - 27). It was our Grandfathers and since it isn't an expensive gun, I had at it. He was having the same problem and left it to me to check. I looked at how the Operating bar and Bolt interacted and YES I slightly bent the bar upwards. I cycled it many time and now it only let loose once in a while. Then I took a micro file and filed some of the metal off of the groove just to see if that would help it stay seated. This seemed to work! I then cycled it dozens of times in every/any position and it hasn't let loose yet. This was just last weekend and the gun has not been fired yet.
View attachment 237610
You NEVER bend steel with out heating it and you NEVER file unless you are fitting a part.
I would recommend that no one try this because the steel will bend back to it's original position and then you have a filled bar that can not be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
They can sure look, but won't be commenting on it any more, closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.