The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think about bringing a cap & ball revolver or a blackpowder pistol from Europe with me next time I come to the USA.
In another source I found the information that blackpowder guns are not considered firearms according to the ATF, so no ATF approvel should be necessary. Is this correct?
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,569 Posts
Not all states. Illinois all black powder guns are considered firearms. Even 22 caliber pellet guns are considered firearms. You may be better off buying one here and leave it with a friend to hold for your use when in the states.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Floridian, gun laws state to state and in some cases, cities within states are a convolution. Several states have "pre-emption" laws where cities or counties cannot pass any laws or ordinances that are more restrictive than state law. That levels the playing field statewide. Cross a state line and it changes. In those states that do not have pre-emtion laws, cross a county line or city limits and it can change. It's taking a chance but, sometimes what they don't know won't hurt them.

gvw might have given you the best advice.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
One of the guys from one of those states will have to chime in. I'm in Missouri and it wouldn't be a problem here.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
It wouldn't be a problem here in Georgia, but getting it through customs is what I would worry about.

·
Registered
518 Posts
In Illinois, you would need a Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID) first - which isn't difficult to obtain. Firearms here aren't registered, but firearm owners are. But, are you not a citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S., proposing to bring it in as a visitor to the U.S.? If that's the case, you need legal advice, not available here on this site, I fear. According to the U.S. Constitution, laws not specifically reserved for the federal government, are under the jurisdiction of the individual states.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware gun laws vary from state to state. I'm a lawful gun owner in FL, I never had a problem passing the background check when buying a firearm. I can buy a cap & ball revolver any time without FFL. I'm concerned if it makes a difference if I buy it in FL or bring it with me.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I was just over on atf's website, looking around and attempting to find an answer to your question. They seem to make it more and more complicated as the years go by.

In my opinion, since a cap and ball firearm is not, according to the ATF, a firearm, you should be able to treat it like any other European souvenir. If you go to Italy and buy a plaster statue of Michelangelo's David, or an Uberti 1860 Colt, you should be able to put the package in your suitcase and take it home.

The problem is that I am not the people that make the laws. In this case neither is congress, it's the damn ATF. And if it were to turn out that I was giving bad advice, I would not be the one going to jail. You would.

I suggest you do one of two things.

An FFL can import firearms, occasionally.

Get your friendly FFL to import the gun for you.

If you don't like that idea, my second idea is to write ATF. Not call. Not email. A letter. Because you want a letter back. You want an actual piece of paper on ATF letterhead with a real person's signature of the bottom. So write them a letter and ask them. Because they are the ones that will be arresting you if what you want to do is illegal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the ATF’s website, too – it did not give me a clear answer. My local FFL would not hesitate to acccept a delivery for me, I talked to him before because maybe I will send a firearm to him. Shipping costs are the problem :( So, I agree, writing a letter seams to be the best idea.:unsure:

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You are better off just buying it here in the U.S. Trying to bring it thru Customs (U.S. AND Foreign) will be a nightmare not worth putting yourself thru. Try to bring a replica matchlock thru Customs/Airport Security Screening will be like you are trying to sneak thru a fully loaded MP40 submachinegun. You think it is stupid - I think it is stupid - but that is the way it is.

That is, of course, unless you ENJOY torturing yourself. (There ARE people who do....) What sort of special deal could you possibly get in Europe that you simply cannot find here?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Customs/Airport Security Screening will be like you are trying to sneak thru a fully loaded MP40 submachinegun
Is it that bad, really? Why I was asking - in Germany you may buy cap & ball revolvers for a fraction of what they are in the US. Maybe because you need a permission to buy one and black powder shooters are decreasing.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
I wonder, what, if any, restrictions would there be to ship one from Germany to a friend in Florida? In the US, in most states, there is no restrictions on shipping black powder firearms. What little I know about getting through Customs, I wouldn't want to go through the grief. It is stupid, as jim said and, the doofus's at the airport wouldn't know a percussion revolver from a Volkswagon gear shift lever.

Reactions: jim brady

·
Premium Member
9,869 Posts
Here’s a crazy thought. Call the airline you’ll be using to travel and see what they have to say.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
I have a question that may change some things. Are you a dual resident or a resident of Fl and will your flight terminate in Fl?

·
TFF Chaplain
19,677 Posts
Normally, when I get home from a visit to the US I find a piece of paper in my suitcase saying the NSA has been rooting around in my case. They don't leave a mess...just check it. The last time I went to the US I had connecting flights and I think I found one of those slips of paper when I got to my destination in the US.

People from the UK take their guns to the US for competitions. People in the Olympics take their guns to various places around the world. Do you have an organization in Germany that supports shooters?
You might try NRA in the US or BASC in the UK to see what they say.

I'm concerned if it makes a difference if I buy it in FL or bring it with me.
Would you bring it over permanently--import it? Competition shooters have round trip tickets and their guns go with them.

Here’s a crazy thought. Call the airline you’ll be using to travel and see what they have to say.
They would have as good info as any, since they transport the guns and see this kind of thing happening on a regular basis. There will be some paperwork.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanted to leave them in my House in FL - so it's an import. There's no problem with the airline to take it with me, but they have no knowledge of gun laws. Bass Pro is no option. I'll contact the ATF about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts