The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity the buy an old 1911 made by Ithaca. The slide is a great fit. It does not rattle like the ones I was around in the military, and the rifling looks good also. I don't have the serial number. I was wondering how much it could be worth before putting down money. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have the opportunity the buy an old 1911 made by Ithaca. The slide is a great fit. It does not rattle like the ones I was around in the military, and the rifling looks good also. I don't have the serial number. I was wondering how much it could be worth before putting down money. Any ideas?
1911's and 1911A1's were designed to rattle. Reason is that the loose tolerances kept them functional in combat conditions (mud, sand, etc.) Tight tolerances mean malfunctions in less than perfect conditions. I'd suspect this one has been modified for target shooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the pics, but after I got a better look, I realized there are no US gov. or military markings and the sn has been ground off the frame. I figure it's not worth much now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Well to start with the grips are wrong, but the biggest problem is that it looks like the serial number has been scrubbed.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole as it is contraband and the BATFE really has no sense of humor about things like that.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll ask one of our SCLED agents what to do with it this weekend. I will still have at least one more of the guns my sister inherited to ask about later. It's a Remington A11. It still has a serial number.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The rest of the gun does have value, collectors are always looking for correct parts to make their WWII 1911A1 correct. The slide alone could go for 2 to 300. It is only the frame that needs to find a home at the bottom of a very deep lake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.