Ithaca 37 and pumps in general

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Urban_Black_Redneck, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Urban_Black_Redneck

Urban_Black_Redneck New Member

I am really thinking of getting a pump for HD and I am leaning towards an Ithaca cause it seems to be a good American made piece and is cheaper than the Rems and Mossys.

Are there chokes for the Ithaca and what parts usually wear out on pumps besides the springs? Is it easy to completely disassemble?

2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

UBR,

I'd be surprised to find 37's priced less than a Mossy. I have owned a 20 ga 37 for a while and use it for informal bird bustin' and pheasant, grouse. Great gun, smooth and light, easy to takedown and clean. It's bbl length works against it being an prime HD piece. I haven't had to replace any parts on mine yet but I don't shoot 10,000 shells per year through it either. Mine is an older model from the 50's and doesn't have the trigger disconnect. Hold the trigger down and pump til it's dry. Didn't know that about this gun until it happened. Kind of a neat feature in some scenarios.

3. Urban_Black_Redneck

Urban_Black_Redneck New Member

Okay thanks its settled. Ithaca 37.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have an 12 guage Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer with the 16 inch barrel and rifle sights that I have had for about 25 years. It is the only pump shotgun that I own and really the only one that I think I need!! You know, I have never tried the hold the trigger and pump, so I don't know if it has a disconnect or not, I will have to try it in the next few days to see.

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You sure about that length?

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I also owned an Ithica 37 Deerslayer for a few years, it never let me down and despite regular use, I had no parts breakages.

I recall a conversation with a guy about the single slide bar, against the double found on most pumps, but it always worked really well. I also have a memory of it being somewhat slimmer and handier than many others.

7. Texman

Texman New Member

Probably the best shoot gun I have ever shot.. mine is 12 gauge and I can pump it one handed by fingering the release on the front of the trigger guard and a quick push, jerk.has never jammed or miss fired. Get one, get an older one..

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

TYPO I should have typed 18 inch barrel, sorry.

EDIT: I just took the shotgun out and measured it and it is actually 19 1/2 inches.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I like the Ithaca's they are fairly good guns. Me personally I have had and sold several diffrent pumps from old Stevens to new Mossy's and the one i would never even dream of selling is my Browning BPS. With a precission barrel and all that bad boy is an animal, it has a nice tight pattern and it really throws the bean bags out too. I love it. Since you are goin for price and HD i would say a good pawn shop Ithica 37 would be a real good choice.