The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ithaca Model 37 shotgun (post-855,000 serial number), and I'd like to get an 18" riot/police cylinder bore bbl for it (for home defense purposes). Are such barrels available any place?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Does the M37 that you own have the ability to have the barrel removed. I think some of them were fixed barrel and cannot have the barrels removed. If its of the design with the interchangable barrels, try a local gun shop to see if they can order you one. If you can find one at a shop or a gun show, it could be cut down to the desired length you want very easily. Its no more difficult than cutting thin wall black pipe, dress the ends with files and sand paper and your in business. Another possibility is to try the factory dirrect for a replacement barrel. They are located in Upper Sandusky, Ohio now.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's the interchangeable barrel gun. The current Ithaca Gun Co. does not sell the short "riot" bbl. There must be some out there someplace, as Ithaca used to produce police shotguns. May have to cut one down like you suggest....

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
To answer your question.
No they made a 20" but no 18" barrel. And the 20" was a chrome barrel and they are impossible to find.
I work on them all the time (I am just outside of Ithaca NY)and only have seen 1 of them.
And keep in mind that when you change a barrel on one it has to be fitted especially a new one.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Does the M37 that you own have the ability to have the barrel removed. I think some of them were fixed barrel and cannot have the barrels removed. If its of the design with the interchangable barrels, try a local gun shop to see if they can order you one. If you can find one at a shop or a gun show, it could be cut down to the desired length you want very easily. Its no more difficult than cutting thin wall black pipe, dress the ends with files and sand paper and your in business. Another possibility is to try the factory dirrect for a replacement barrel. They are located in Upper Sandusky, Ohio now.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
Do not cut down your barrel!!!!! the ithaca barrel is a thin wall barrel and I have seen more then one blow up by doing this.
The co. that is making them now does not make one shorter then 24"
Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Mike. My gun is from 1964, and has the smooth 26" "Deerslayer" barrel, which is removeable. I'll just keep it as is, or maybe get a rifled barrel for it.

Are you saying a new barrel would have to be fitted, and wouldn't just screw on? Have the threads changed since '64...?

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
The design is the same but each barrel that was put on was hand fitted and you are talking new on old so it would need to be checked to make sure it fits.
If you go onto the new Ithaca sight you will see this stressed and it is not said so they can make money.
Sense they have been made in different places and by different standards putting a new barrel on a old receiver has to be fitted.
If you look around and find one that is from the same period that your gun was made the chances of it fitting with out fitting is high but make sure it fits tight and is set in right for head space.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts