Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Ithaca 37

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dale B, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dale B

Dale B New Member

Hello, I have a chance to pick up a Ithaca model 37 featherweight 12 gauge made in 1954 I checked the serial # w/ -2 for mod. choke. I would say it is in 90+ condition, used very little.The asking price is $225.00 is that a fair price? Not up on pricing shotguns but condition is everything this one is nice. Thanks for the help.

Dale B.

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Judging the price from over here, and knowing Ithica 37s, I would grab it.

Some used to doubt the Ithicas because they use one bar on the slide. There was always the Rem 870 with two. But the Ithicas are really well built and with care will last a lifetime plus.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009

3. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I love my model 37. Its a featherlight reciever, with a 20 inch smooth bore deer slayer barrel. its never let me down

4. djrockk@cox.net

djrockk@cox.net New Member

I have a 1982 ithaca model 37 featherlight, 12 guage, 28 inch barrel, perfect shape. It has ducks engraved on the right side and pheasants on the left. Two questions:
    1. Does this one fire with the trigger held down and work the pump action?

2. Any idea of the value? Only been shot a few times.

5. jondar

jondar New Member

That's about what they are going for on the big auction. I just dug mine out of the cabinet and cleaned it again. Put it back together, worked the action, and thought "what a smooth operator."

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know, but there's an easy way to find out.

Make sure the gun is empty. Shut bolt, pull trigger, continue to hold trigger back. Work pump, back and forward. Still holding trigger back, try to pull pump back again. If it will come back, then yes, there is no disconnect, and the hammer falls as soon as the bolt locks. If it won't come back, then there is a disconnect, and you have to release the trigger and pull it again, to unlock the bolt.

Personally, I've never seen the great attraction to that. I've got four guns you can do that with. Winchester 1897 shotgun, Ithaca 37 shotgun, Winchester 1890 22 rifle and a Rossi copy of the Winchester 1890. I know they will all do it, but have no desire to shoot them like that. They were not designed to be shot that way, they were designed without a disconnector because the designer never thought one would be needed.