The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by a customer to re-blue his Ithaca shotgun. The metal on the receiver is highly exposed and appears to be some kind of alloy. I have run test spots with both aluminum an steel blueing chemicals with no results. Not sure but it looks like the original finish was parkerized. I'm looking for suggestions on re-finishing the receiver. I will also need some suggestions on stripping the original finish as spot repairs are completely out. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have painted (like the factory did) several model 66's and 49's. I pick up several different brands of spray paint and test to see which matches the original finish the best. I am not sure what the metal was but it chipped very easily. Some 66's had steel receivers

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
The Ithaca 66 receiver is steel it is a "pot" steel to make it lighter.You do not want to paint it with "hardware paint" you need to use a baking lacquer like the factory did.You could get away with Aluma-Hyde but a oven cure paint of some kind is what you should use.
Using any old paint is not the way to go it will just flake off.And your costumer will be bringing back his gun for you to redo.
I hope you are Hot bluing the steel because cold blue sucks and will not last and should only be used for touch up.
As for stripping the old paint off use a bead blaster or sand paper.
Remember cold blue and any old paint is not restoreing the gun it is just a cheep fix that will make the gun look good for only a short time.
Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi there i have repainted my 66 with a ceramic base hi temp engine paint. after several coats, and letting dry over night, i put them in the oven. i let them bake at 250 degree for a few hrs. it came out nice. cleaning chemicals dont hurt it, and it has held up well. i did a mossberg 500 for my son also, same results, and no loss of paint.

martin

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brownells Baking Laquer is the perfect replacement finish on the Ithaca 66 . I've done several with it . As with most finishes , surface prep is 90% of the battle . I like to fluff up the metal a little with Alum. Oxide , so the laquer has something to lock on to (tooth) . You can also fill in some imperfections by lightly sanding between coats , till you have the smoothness you're looking for !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.