It's colder than..... It's hotter than......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

SDhunter
    (1/17/03 12:37:19 pm)
    Reply It's colder than..... It's hotter than......
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    with all this talk about being cold, thought that this might be interesting. I'll start.

It's colder than......

"A witch's tit in a brass bra"

It's hotter than.....

"A half ------ rat in a wool sock"

Edited because it is not cool for younger people who do read our site.

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/17/03 12:49:28 pm

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 12:45:04 pm)
    Reply Re: It's colder than..... It's hotter than......
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    COLD.............. than my ex-wifes heart
    HOT............... than my gun barrel right after my divorce

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 12:46:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: It's colder than..... It's hotter than......
    I can't think of a single one in my repertoire that would be appropriate for a PG-rated family friendly site such as this one.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

whiskey101
    (1/17/03 4:27:04 pm)
    Re: It's colder than..... It's hotter than......
    Colder than a well-diggers a$$.

***** NOTE: The above statement is my opinion; please feel free to share it. However, it is not meant as a required replacement for your opinion. If you do not agree with my opinion, form your own. *****

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:30:05 pm)
    WHISKEY, ya didnt finish it.......in IDAHO at the bottom of the well...apologies to all yooze spudniks. but thas the way it plays at da Bada-Bing....U cud look it up....

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 6:45:20 pm)
    "Hotter Than Hades!"

Story goes that the Devil came to Arizona for a visit one time. Went home because he couldn't stand the heat.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/17/03 8:27:10 pm)
    June Carter& Johnny Cash...Hotter than a pepper sprout.

GG

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 8:49:16 pm)
    It's so foggy here I cant see what the weather is like.

It was so cold today, I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets

No matter how hot it is in New York City, when you walk out of a night club and they hand you the check it will knock you out cold.

It's hotter than a firecracker on the 4th of July
    firearms forever!

Edited by: ysacres at: 1/17/03 8:51:42 pm

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 8:55:43 pm)
    Colder than Hilary's panties --

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 1:07:09 am)
    Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon, but prevent them from rolling about the deck. The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine, which rested on sixteen.

Thus, a supply of thirty cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem - how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others? The solution was a metal plate called a, "Monkey," with sixteen round indentations. If this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make, "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the cannon balls would roll right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/18/03 8:43:38 am)
    Here in Minn-eeee-sota, ve use brass monkeys for handwarmers...ya, sure, you bet.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 9:48:33 am)
    The brass monkeys story is just that - a story. Urban legend.

Snopes.com, Truth or Fiction.com, and Ask Oxford all say pretty much the same thing. Cannonballs were never stored in or on devices known as monkeys, brass or otherwise. Also, when the expression first appeared, it was "Cold enough to freeze the TAIL off a brass monkey", doesn't quite fit the given explanation.

The expression was also modified for use in hot weather - "Hot enough to scald the throat of a brass monkey" - also doesn't fit the seagoing explanation, huh?

I've been seeing this one around the Net in different places and decided to look it up. What a shock, another piece of incorrect info being spread around the Internet.

Who woulda thunk it?

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 11:41:44 am)
    Reply It's so cold...
    It's got me shakin' like a dog sheetin peach seeds!....

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 11:48:18 am)
    Reply Re: It's so cold...
    Well I"ll be go to hell on a handcar!
    X gets the firearms flying fickle finger of fate award!

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 5:43:00 pm)
    Reply Re: It's so cold...
    When its cold, reely RRREEEEEELLLLYYYcold,
    " THE HAWK IS TALKIN" got no idea where it came from

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.