The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went shopping for Crisco at Winco the other day.
Lard was on sale for 1.08 for a one pound block.
I've never used Lard for pie crust till today...
Any thoughts on it?
Bonus question for those in the North West what is WINCO
an acronym for?

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pie #1 in the oven.....
Next I'll go with Crisco

·
Super Moderator
43,878 Posts
A few years ago, we owned a BBQ restaurant so we made our own lard. My wife used lard in everything that called for grease/Crisco when preparing things like cornbread or biscuits. She never made a pie that I can remember but lard would have been used is she had made one. I say use the same amount, if recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of Crisco, use 1 tablespoon of lard - after all Crisco is a substitute for lard.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Here ya go: According to the company, the name WinCo is a portmanteau of Winning Company, however, the company also says the name refers to the five states where the company originally operated stores (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, and Oregon).

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here ya go: According to the company, the name WinCo is a portmanteau of Winning Company, however, the company also says the name refers to the five states where the company originally operated stores (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, and Oregon).
You cheated :bounce:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Any thoughts on it?
Absolutely the best for pie crusts. They come out flaky all the way to the bottom.

Knife it in, as usual, and make multiple folds when rolling your crusts. Never mind the so-called cholesterol. That's pretty much BS anyway.

Do you have a pastry blender? Use that. https://bakingbites.com/2011/05/what-is-a-pastry-blender/

Keep your lard COLD up to the point of knifing it in. Let the dough rest in the fridge to keep the heat to a minimum. Roll it out gently, do not overwork it. Par-bake your crust before adding filling. (not fully done, but thoroughly hot) Protect the outer rim of the crust with some foil to prevent burning. Send me a slice.

·
12,804 Posts
Lard, good hair cream, good cat head biscuits and great pie crusts.
When those biscuits cool off they make for clay pigeons.
We killed the hog, scrape the hog, process the hog and make cracklings, therefore you have lard from boiling the cracklings.
Then you make crackling cornbread.
Cracklings is better than popcorn.
The only thing me wasted was the squeal.

·
Super Moderator
12,507 Posts
My wife and I shop at Winco, A Employee owned co-op. you get more bags of groceries for your money than anywhere else.
although its located 8 miles away in Moscow ID. it's worth the drive for us, Their meats and produce are good, and options of bulk dry goods are incredible.
The one thing my wife doesn't like is bagging her own groceries, Winco saves money on labor that way.

Pie.... Yumm!

·
Premium Member
11,183 Posts
Never heard of Winco before but as far as the lard, I bet that makes one good pie although I bet all your pies are good. I made a burger crust once that was really good. It was a double crust and the only way to work it was to keep it cool. Once it started to warm even a little it got VERY sticky.

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They came out well.
Next time I will chill the lard like @Designer said too....

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Premium Member
11,183 Posts
Warning!
Momentary thread hijack.

We can't go to the big city (Bellingham)
Don, just where do you live up there? I used to work in Bellingham and lived in both Burlington and Mt Vernon. @woolleyworm is from that area too. I remember Kesselring's gun shop and the best fried chicken dinner at the Alger Bar & Grill.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts