It's the strange but true thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 94z07, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 94z07

94z07 New Member

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

So the idea is to post something that is real but sounds impossible. I'll start off with this one.

2. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Nongqawruse had a fatal charisma, she was so smooth toungued she led an entire south african tribe to obliteration, and she was just 14 years old.
    She convinced the tribes people (1856-57)that their ancestors had spoken to her and were ready to help them repel the European invaders BUT:
    In order to ber resurected the tribspeople had to prove their faith by burning their crops, slaughtering their herds of cattle, destroying all worldly possessions.
    The tribe met the deadline after a year of ritual killing and sacrificing she said that the sun would rise in the east, stop overhead, and reverse its course to set in the east.
    The tribespeople (Gcaleka xhosas)blinded themselves stareing at the sun, and started to panic when it did not stop, nor reverse its course but set in the west.
    Their despair turned to anger as they searched for the prophetess and the princess had to flee to escape the angry crowds and sought sanctuary with the British. Even though they assisted with food as did neighbouring tribes and europeans, the tribe she had led to ruin had lost 25,000 to starvation.

3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Suppose she might have been Barack Obamas great great grandmother?

4. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

What are you talkin about that was Obama when he got bored talking to the Devil himself.

5. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

You know Running, I had that thought when reading that story which is true by the way.

It shows the danger of gullibility.

6. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Here's one that most people will not believe.

Obama was not the first black president. George Washington wasn't the first president.

The first president was the moor, black man, John Hanson. Yuppers our very first president was black and islamic. Seven other men, Elias Boudinot (1783), Thomas Mifflin (1784), Richard Henry Lee (1785), Nathan Gorman (1786), Arthur St. Clair (1787), and Cyrus Griffin (1788) were president before George Washington.

George Washington was around then of course. He was a member of Congress and part of the unanimous vote that elected John Hanson. Under the Articles of Confederation, the president was elected by Congress much like the PM in a parliamentary system.

George Washington was, of course, the first president under the Constitution but #8 over all.

7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Very interesting facts here. Ones of which I was totally unaware. Your post prompted further investigation and I learned more. Washington was indeed the 8th president but he was in fact the first president of the United States. The others were presidents but not of the United States.

Also learned that the claim that John Hanson was black is apparantly an error due to confusing him with another man of the same name who was a Massachusetts senator and black.

8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson_(myths)

Wikipedia, yes, but sourced. It goes on to discuss his ethnic lineage.

Presidents of Congress Assembled were not considered Presidents of The United States. They were muc closer in duties to the present Speaker of the House.

Pops

9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've a personal one for you. Senator Pat McCarren used to hide out from the press occasionally. Sometimes he would hide out by staying with us for a couple of days to get the press off his tail. You ask what was so strange about Pat hiding from the press by staying with us? Dad owned the newspaper in the sixth largest town in Nevada. :D

Pops

10. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride Active Member

Hi all! I figure for my 1st post in this forum I'd post a real duzie. I've tried to find the actual document online, but it's kind of an old story. :(

Talk about a 1 in a million shot!! Who says .22LR isn't deadly @ 200yds.?

My brother gave me a newspaper clipping.... said when he read it, he thought of me. (I'm the family gun-nut!) :cool: