The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is taken from an article about shooting a 32/20 single-shot rifle.

>The rifle used for this shooting is a CPA Stevens made in bench rest configuration, and is shown in the photo. It is fitted with a Douglas .32 barrel with 15" twist and tapered throat chamber, 1.19" across the flats at the frame. The bench style buttstock is fitted with a drawbolt and the forearm is 2-7/8" wide. Scope used is a 2" Unertl programmer in 24 power, bases are spaced at 10-1/2". All bullets were seated 1/16" in front of the chamber with a plugged case. Bullets used were Darr #36, cast from 1:24 alloy lubed with CPA lube, which is made from one third by weight Vaseline, one third Gulf wax, and one third Javelina Alox lube. Powder used is 10.7 grains of Accurate Arms #9, with a wet foam wad seated on the powder. Brass was Winchester, primed with CCI small rifle primers. This load has a standard deviation of 5 fps, which is reasonable, if unimportant. All things considered, however, I believe that this rifle and load at its present state is very competitive for any ASSRA or ISSA matches, and should be able to win its share of matches.<

The article, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.singleshotexchange.com/why-not-a-32-20-by-paul-shu.html

But that "seated in front of the chamber with a plugged case" that has me puzzled.

What it appears, to me, to be saying, is the bullet is pushed into the chamber, right up to the rifling, and then a charged case with no bullet (and something plugged into the mouth of the case to hold the powder in) is loaded behind the bullet. Kinda like the Smith breechloader from the War Against Yankee Aggression.

Is that it? Anybody know?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Harry Pope style,but loading from the breech entire,rather than a breech/muzzle combination.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts