I've done it again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Feb 23, 2017.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A customer brought in a 2002 Taurus for no start. It needs a fuel pump. They didn't have any money so they brought in the title. I paid the $166 bill for tw and diagnose, it's now my car. This one will be fixed and sold for profit. I hate Taurus cars

carver, rawright54, One Shot and 5 others like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You should be able to clear a fair profit on it.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Does it have any gas in it?

carver, tedwitt, dbcooper and 3 others like this.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I bought my daughter one of those 10 years ago for $1000. I told here to save her money and get a better car in about a year. She drove it for 7 years. Then she gave it to my grandson and he still drives it.

It must have 200k miles on it. Didn't have any big problems with it. Everyone hates them but they run forever.

5. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Where do you live? Haiti? I mean, $166, someone in the family must have it?

6. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Those '00 Taurus were UGLY! The AOD transmissions in them were junk! Now I had a 93 Taurus that would take a beating and beat back...

7. 68c15

Thankfully it's only 1/4 tank. I have to remove the tank and replace the $70 fuel pump

carver, howlnmad, dbcooper and 2 others like this.
  8. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

68c15, carver, howlnmad and 3 others like this.
  9. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Back in about 1979 or so my Mother-In-Law decided they needed a new car because their old one had problem with climate control, heat blowed out at foot level all the time. They bought a 1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville D'elegance.
    The dealership didn't offer them much on trade-in so she knew I really like their old car a 1973 Cadillac Sedan Deville with V-8 500. It had less that 50K miles and otherwise was a great car besides the heat issue. She told Mama to have me come down she had a bit of trading she wanted to do with me. I got it for $100 and about 3 weeks of work cutting brushes, tearing down an old shed and burning the debris from all the work. We kept that car for about 6 years, Mama drove it more than she did her 79 Trans Am. When we started to move back here to Oklahoma I sold it to a neighbor for $300.
    Tell you what, I wish we had kept it! Those babies were built great. I remember brakes went out on Mama and she drove it on to her parents and ran into a tree to stop. Tree was about 8' thick and she said it was rolling at least 5-10mph when hit it. Not even a dent on bumper.
    Dumb me I bought and installed a master cylinder. Still no brakes so installed the brake booster. Still no brakes! Guess what! The vacuum hose to carburetor had rotted or broke at carb. All the parts and work and all it needed was a maybe less than a $1 hose!

"Good Luck!" on your new car! Lucky it only 1/4 tank of gas. I had drop tank on 79 Trans Am once and even after siponing as much as I could with way they had that baby wedged in it was a bugger!

firefighter1635 and carver like this.
  10. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

he hates the cars but I'm going to guess he does not hate the money he makes off of them

the cars owners were dumb. They could have gotten a wrecking yard to come pick it up and pay them $300-400 for it

Thank God for dumb people ... smart, industrious people can make money off of their dumb choices!

11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

make sure to put our your cig before dropping the tank:eek::D

12. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I bought a 1999 Taurus in the Spring of 2000. worst car I've owned.
    #1 The right front coil spring broke slashing the tire at 55 mph almost sending me into a ditch.
    #2 The alternator went out two times. It was located at the bottom of the engine and gets wetted and corrodes. It cost me $140.00 to replace each one and first replacement took two days to get it out and the second one took 6 hrs. To access it required lowering the back of the engine cradle. There is still a blue fog of profanity floating over where I had to replace the first alternator.
    #3 the starter needed replacement.
    #4 the starter relay need to be replaced.
    #5 The neutral safety switch needed replacement.
    #6 The engine fan motor needed to be replaced.
    #7 The AC/Heater fan motor needed to be replaced.
    This all happened between 2002-2005.

With exception of a Mustang I will never buy another Ford.

13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Ain't no fun in that ;).

14. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey, Todd! Would you like another one?

My best bud up in Golden Valley has one available. Cheap. She bought it 11 years ago or so, but her ex-boyfriend - a rectocranially-inverted chap inclined to beat women - defaced the title with his own scribbles before she could sign it and get the title transferred to her. The blue-haired little old lady she bought it from has long since died, so there's no way to get a clear title, except to file an abandoned vehicle claim. In AZ, that now costs more than the car is worth.

Not knowing about this little title problem, several years ago I replaced the busted radiator, replaced the heads and mostly rebuilt the top end, and rebuilt the non-functioning a/c system. In my spare time, mind you. As soon as I got that done, and it was running like a fine machine, the trans sprung a leak. I give up. You want it for parts? Come and pick it up!:D

15. 68c15

The going rate for scrap locally is $86/ton

Maybe next weekend I'll fix it. I've got a couple people interested and we're talking the $1500 range. I make no mention of what I paid for it since that has no real bearing on its value.

Wife said maybe we should save it for oldest son since he will most likely blow the engine in his Accord. "F***no! He can't afford $1500". Lol

rawright54 and firefighter1635 like this.