The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The top gun is Belgian, not American. Look for the ELG in oval Liege proofmark on rear face of cylinder.

The Iver Johnson is an antique first model, and the serial no. is probably on end of butt instead of under left grip.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the ser.# is on the the end of the but.I got so worked up about the S&W that I did not take the ser. # off of the I.J.
The gun from Belgian had no name of mgf. on it can you tell who made it.?
Or what it is worth?.Disregarding it's condition.
Thanks for the help.
Mike

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The gun from Belgian had no name of mgf. on it can you tell who made it.?
Or what it is worth?.Disregarding it's condition.
Thanks for the help.
Mike
There were a gazillion of these made in Belgium by anonymous "cottage industry" workmen, and it's impossible to identify a 'maker' of most.

There are usually a few of these on the auctions, and my value WAG is $50-$100 max.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
The IJ looks to be in excellent condition Mike. As a first model it is a black powder pistol. Because it is in such good condition it will fetch a reasonably decent price - probably somewhere over $125. The Belgian pistol is interesting because of it's flip up trigger. The metal is pretty bad so it's not worth much. Maybe $50.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If I remember correctly the trigger on the Belgium gun is supposed to be in the up position until the gun is cocked, then it springs down. It may be broken or missing a spring.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
If I remember correctly the trigger on the Belgium gun is supposed to be in the up position until the gun is cocked, then it springs down. It may be broken or missing a spring.
RJay, on this type folding trigger, the outer extension just folds up out of the way when desired, and does not 'spring out'

You may be thinking of the little percussion pistols with trigger that folds flat into frame until hammer cocked?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts