Iver Johnson 1879 Swing Out Cylinder Revolver 38/41 Caliber?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by George Spaulding, Feb 10, 2018.

1. George Spaulding

George Spaulding New Member

I have one of these Revolvers as shown in the Flayderman's book. It has the 79/83 Patent dates and Iver Johnson & Co Makers Worcester Mass USA roll stamp on the barrel. I live in NH and purchased the revolver just over the border in Maine (I am a FFL Dealer) so It didn't get far from Worcester. The trigger spring on this one is broken so it only functions in Double Action. The Grips have Dogs Heads on them and the LH grip is broken. Flayderman's also said these were 6 shooters and mine is a 5 shot. I first thought it was a 38 S&W but when I put a round in the cylinder it had room to wiggle around they also wrote that they were 32/38/41/44 calibers but my 10MM and 41 Mag rounds would not fit, so unsure of caliber. There is a 57 stamped on the frame and 249 on the extractor and cylinder.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Pictures sure would be of some assistance to the experts who can probably identify it for you.

Kweeksdraw likes this.

3. George Spaulding

George Spaulding New Member

DSCN6369 - Copy.JPG

DSCN6372.JPG DSCN6373.JPG DSCN6374.JPG DSCN6375.JPG DSCN6379.JPG DSCN6382.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
    Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

The .41 of the day was .386", falling between a .38 (.357) and present day .41.

crystalphoto likes this.
  5. macs gun works

macs gun works New Member

The best bet is to check cylinder diameter with micrometer. 38 (.360) 41 (.412) 44 (.432) give or take a thousandth. Most of those are S&W calibers make sure to use the right type of ammo .

6. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

Without using a micrometer you are just guessing at the caliber...you got me with your title 38/41 as there is no such cartridge.

7. Bull dog Billy

Bull dog Billy New Member

The gun is in 38 S&W. I'm the guy you sold the gun to on FORUM VIOLATION. I have a collection of Iver Johnsons. I started collecting them because they're dirt cheap and easy to fix. I disassembled, cleaned and oiled the revolver. I replaced the single action sear spring, switch out the broken grip and I'm taking her out to the range this weekend (along with 5 other black powder pistols). I load my own 38 S&W with black powder which I believe will work just fine in this revolver.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018