The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson 22 Supershot will not cycle correctly

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 22 supershot that cycles intermittently. Sometimes the pistol will cycle after 6 shots, sometimes it will only drop the hammer once or twice before it jams. If I let go of the hammer, then try to pull it back again then it normally goes ahead and cocks. This happens when running it as single action or double action.

I can tell it is seizing as the cylinder lifts up, which lifts up the barrel portion of the gun as well. It doesn't have any issues when the cylinder is not in the pistol......however the bottom part of the pistol has a bluing and the top is kind of silver. Perhaps this is two different guns put into one?

#4 ·
Mark,
The cylinder lifts up due to the cylinder stop not hitting in the cocking notch of the cylinder, but hitting in the flat of the cylinder. It's a timing issue. My guess is your hand/lever is worn or the spring is weak causing the cylinder to not rotate far enough to engage the cylinder stop. It could also be your extractor ratchet has some badly worn teeth. Maybe some pics of these trouble spots would help us ID the problem.
Old Gun Guy

#5 ·
Hey everyone,

I can tell it is seizing as the cylinder lifts up, which lifts up the barrel portion of the gun as well. It doesn't have any issues when the cylinder is not in the pistol......however the bottom part of the pistol has a bluing and the top is kind of silver. Perhaps this is two different guns put into one?
Mark,
I think the answer to your problem was stated in your description. If the cylinder is lifted by the lever (hand) while cocking and it rubs on the barrel, it will bind up the action. The harder you pull to cock the revolver, the harder it rubs.

Sprint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.