The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Iver Johnson 2nd Model 2nd Variation Hammerless in .38 S&W. It was missing the grips, main spring, trigger spring and trigger guard, which I have purchased but have not received yet.

The cylinder cycles when the trigger is pulled but there is a lot of play once the hammer falls. I have pulled the trigger with the barrel in the open position and it looks like the hand goes back into the housing right about when the hammer falls. I would have thought the hand would stay in the cylinder ratchet notches to help the cylinder stop.

I took off the shroud and looked inside and there was a wire type spring that looks like it is holding the safety bar. Is there a hand spring that is missing? I can’t seem to find anything in the diagrams or schematics.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There is a bent wire spring which operates the hand and the lifter (safety bar). You might want to see if this wire spring is getting hung up on something and preventing the hand from going forward. Also, be sure everything is clean and the parts can move freely.

Another thing to check on a revolver like this is the ejector/ratchet play in the cylinder. Place two or three empty shells in the cylinder and see if it locks up tighter with them in place.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will have to break it apart and look at it more closely. The cylinder stop on the trigger showed some wear, so I picked up another from Numrich. It looks to be in better shape than the original but I haven’t had the time to install it just yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1st and 2nd models did free wheel once you let off the trigger. It only locked up as you pull the trigger. It would free wheel clockwise (as viewed from the grip end) as the hand, the little thing that turns the cylinder, should keep it from going counter clockwise. If it does, your piece may be worn or the lockup of the frame may be loose.
However, there was a part that was intended to slow down that freewheeling, it is known as the "cylinder friction spring" and can be found here as part #90 http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...afetyHammerAutoRevolver-38246.htm?results=100
It fits into the shaft the cylinder spins on. I have posted a picture of what it looks like and where it goes below. I hope this helps you solve any freewheeling issue you have. John

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am working on the same gun and it needs a hand spring. Is that what numrich calls a lever spring? Also, if I knew how it is installed and what it looked like I'd probably make one. Anyone have a pic of one and know how they are installed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.