The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,038 Posts
That should held the experts verify the date.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson 1st Model 2nd Variation Safety Hammer Automatic Revolver made in 1895. It is chambered in .32 S&W and is considered a black powder frame. It is not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

The serial number do not appear to match, so it may be a parts gun.

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
We’ve got guys here that will be along soon I’m sure that can tell you the date. I can tell you that you have a first model and would guess late 1800’s. It’s made for black powder only so no modern ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We’ve got guys here that will be along soon I’m sure that can tell you the date. I can tell you that you have a first model and would guess late 1800’s. It’s made for black powder only so no modern ammo.
Yes I made some rounds and loaded with 3.3 grains bp and it shoots really good and I am really surprised at the acuresey this gun has.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Make sure you completely disassemble and clean the revolver as you would any other black powder muzzle loader or firearm.

Smokeless cleaning agents will not work and your guns condition will deteriorate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you completely disassemble and clean the revolver as you would any other black powder muzzle loader or firearm.

Smokeless cleaning agents will not work and your guns condition will deteriorate.
Yes I already know that. But thanks for the information. I'm always open to information. Never know what you might learn.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I should have figured that since you reloaded some black powder rounds already....

They are alot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
FYI, the 1st Model barrel catch/latch spring is thin and easily broken. It's a long thin flat spring with a bend at one end.

To replace the spring you remove the screw on the right side of the barrel assembly and wiggle the bracket out. Sometimes the bracket that holds the spring in place is fused in place from years of corrosion and cannot be removed. I don't know of anyone that sells replacement brackets.

The barrel catch was improved on the 2nd Model and is stronger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, the 1st Model barrel catch/latch spring is thin and easily broken. It's a long thin flat spring with a bend at one end.

To replace the spring you remove the screw on the right side of the barrel assembly and wiggle the bracket out. Sometimes the bracket that holds the spring in place is fused in place from years of corrosion and cannot be removed. I don't know of anyone that sells replacement brackets.

The barrel catch was improved on the 2nd Model and is stronger.
Thanks that's good to know. All the more reason to use lighter loads

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would be more worried about cleaning it properly. The black powder smoke will get into the bracket area and on the spring. If its not clean properly, it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

You may want to try and remove and clean the spring and area since you have fired it. Just be careful when removing the screw and the bracket and gently try to pry it out. If it is frozen you may not be able to get it out, but you can try soaking in penetrating oil or Kroil for a few days and try it later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be more worried about cleaning it properly. The black powder smoke will get into the bracket area and on the spring. If its not clean properly, it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

You may want to try and remove and clean the spring and area since you have fired it. Just be careful when removing the screw and the bracket and gently try to pry it out. If it is frozen you may not be able to get it out, but you can try soaking in penetrating oil or Kroil for a few days and try it later.
Yea I have already taken it totally apart including the spring and it did have black powder residue in side the handle area. And took awhile to figure out how to get it back togeather. So I did it several times just to get the hang of it.now I could do it in my sleep.he he .But really it ain't to bad now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I have already taken it totally apart including the spring and it did have black powder residue in side the handle area. And took awhile to figure out how to get it back togeather. So I did it several times just to get the hang of it.now I could do it in my sleep.he he .But really it ain't to bad now.
Also want you guys to know I really like all the advice that you give me. It means alot

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Many years ago in the Sierra Nevada mountains I was scrounging through the dirt in what was the Main Street of a town adjacent to a large mine looking mainly for buried bottles. My daughter ( about ten at the time) called me to her side because she had found something, a S& W Safety Hammerless .38 caliber. The pistol was rusted shut but obviously unloaded in each chamber except under the hammer which could not be seen, a stick down the barrel confirmed there was no ammo at all. I immediately made up a story for the :)girls about a armed bully taking on a pilgrim who just bought the Smith and did not have to load before being cut down on the Main Street. What the heck the girls accepted the explanation and the witnesses were long gone so no one could refute my claim:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts