The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law gave me this gun 30 years ago. He was a Italian immigrant (1911) shoemaker who kept it in his shop for protection. Need info on age, value etc.

Iver Johnson hammerless revolver

Top of barrel: * Iver Johnson arms *& cycle works
* * * * * * * * * * * *Fitchburg Mass.

Butt of gun: * *June 16 96. *Aug 25 95 * Oct 16 04 patents pending

Trigger guard: * *28403

Under left grip: * B28403

Cartridge case: *W R A. * S & W .32

· Banned
5,425 Posts
What I can tell you is that it was made sometime from 1904 to a little after that. The pistol fires the .32 S&W cartridge. Iver Johnson made these into the 1930's ( I have one of their later production pistols). The early pistols were designed for the black powder cartridges that were available back in the late 1800's. Your pistol is on the cusp of the smokeless powder vs. black powder time so, I'd question as to whether it was designed to handle the extra pressure of smokeless cartridges or should really only shoot black powder cartridges. If the pistol is in decent condition, black powder cartridges will certainly be safe to fire. However, we do have some very knowledgeable guys here in this forum who will be able to pinpoint better whether the smokeless cartridges would be safe to fire.

These are really neat little guns though the trigger pull is a bear. I keep my little .32 as my truck gun in case I hit a deer and it is suffering and I have to put it down.

The value of these little pistols isn't very high. Generally no more than $100 and usually a lot less. I paid $38 for mine last October. They certainly are a nice little piece of history to have in a gun collection though :)

Pictures are very important in order to assess condition which has a great deal of impact on actual value.

Your pistol has family history attached and therefore should have sentimental value also. I do hope that it is in good condition. My recommendation is to keep it, get a box of ammo for it, go do a little practice shooting with it then bring her back home, clean her and put her away loaded in case she's ever needed :)

· Registered
3,634 Posts
There's conflict in the book, as one section says the 1904 patent date appeared only on those small frame .32 hammerless models made in 1908, but another section says that marking was used 1907-1911, and the B serial prefix indicates you have a smokeless powder model made in 1910.

(The last two patent dates should be Aug 25 96 and Sept 6 04)

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will take some pictures and try to post them.
As for the condition. My novice opinion is that is poor to fair. A small piece is missing from the left grip and the nickel plating is somewhat pitted.

The trigger pull is a bear! In fact, i use my left hand to help the cylinder rotate while using my right to pull the trigger.

I have never fired it and don't intend to, even though I have about a dozen rounds of Winchester ammo.

· Registered
28 Posts
It is very dangerous when shooting loaded to have your hand near the cylinder to barrel area as the expulsion of gases and powder can cause serious finger or hand injuries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.