The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Iver Johnson's 38cal. revolver model# H8804, pat.nov.17 08 pat. pending. Does anyone know how old this model is, what it is worth in good cond., and can I use regular remington 38 s&w 146gr. lead rn cartridges without having it blow up in my hand?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

The serial number and patent date you list identify a large frame hammer 3rd model made in 1918.

If in proper mechanical condition, it will be safe with current factory .38 S&W ammo.

Value depends on original condition but usually in $50-$150 range.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bear in mind thats 38 S&W ammo-
NOT 38 special!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have an Iver Johnson's 38cal. revolver model# H8804, pat.nov.17 08 pat. pending. Does anyone know how old this model is, what it is worth in good cond., and can I use regular remington 38 s&w 146gr. lead rn cartridges without having it blow up in my hand?
wjbvero, welcome to the Forum, but I'm sorry to tell you that nobody can give you a useful estimate of what your gun is worth without good pictures (plural). I just told someone asking the same question about a similar revolver:

These small revolvers were made in large quantities from the 1880's to the 1920's, and lot of them have survived until today. Not many people collect them, and they are not very good weapons by today's standards, so prices tend to be pretty low, like $125, give or take $75. (People very often ask more, but I don't think they get it much).

What I did not mention there is the difficulty of finding buyer at any price. There are just not many people who want them.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's the facts as I see them. I hope anyone who feels otherwise will speak up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts