The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given an Iver Johnson. After some research here and other sites, I think it was manufactured in 1922. The serial number under the left grip is H45783 with matching number on the bottom of trigger guard. The gentleman who gave it to me knew little about it, just that he bought it in the '50s, sprayed it down with wd40, wrapped it in newspaper and put it away. The barrel is good, there is some surface rust on the frame by the grips. He thought it was a .38 short, and the 9 rnds he gave me with it are .38, but they are closer in size to a 9mm.

My question(s): Is my manufacture year accurate?
Is this a .38 short?
Value?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Yes, that serial number falls with in 1922 for the Large Frame Hammer Center fire .38. :) no, it is not .38 S&W Short. It is simply the 38 S&W cartridge, there is no .38 S&W short cartridge. The .38 S&W is shorter than the S&W .38 Special but that is a different cartridge for a different gun. The correct cartridge for your gun is .38 S&W. Value, well with no pictures, don't know. If in good condition they are selling for around 150, Maybe more, maybe less. Best I can do, hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RJay, you have helped me tremendously! If I can figure out how to post pics, I will. At least I know what ammo to look for.

Sue

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Forum,

Interesting info on a date for an Iver Johnson .38 I recently picked up. The S/N is 452xx so it is in the same date range. I have had no success finding any snub nose Iver Johnsons like the one I have. Possibly the barrel was shortened. I posted a photo. What does anyone think.

Thanks,

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts