The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson .38 SW

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Mak 
#1 ·
Hi! I am new to the forum and like probably many before me I'm trying to get the Manufacture date, value and any history on a Iver Johnson 38 SW. It has been sitting in my wife's great Grand Father's safe probably for about 70 years. When the last one past I received the weapon. I thought it was a .32 cal but later realized it was a .38 and shot 38 SW ammo. I tried it out before I read your post saying to have it inspected by a gunsmith but I'm lucky and it performed fine. The serial # is D44119 the Pat. Aug.25.96 and the Barrel is stamped IverJohnson's Arms & Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass USA. I will forward Pictures if I can figure out how.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You have an Iver Johnson 3rd Model, 1st Variation Hammerless Safety Automatic Revolver made in 1911. It is chambered in .38 S&W and is considered a smokeless frame. The nickel appears to be in very good condition. Don't store it in the holster, it can ruin the finish.

As a rule, these don't bring a great deal of money. Since yours is smokeless frame and can handle modern ammunition, it will be worth a little more. I would estimate the value to be around $200. Maybe a little more for collectors looking for a good 3rd Model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.