The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Iver Johnson 38 S&W revolver and would like some information about it. SN is C(I think) 40158.

Any idea when gun was manufactured? Where made? It's value?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

You have a .38 S&W caliber 3rd model made 1911 in Fitchburg, MA.

The plastic grip plate shown is an old Franzite or other aftermarket grip, which would hurt value to a collector, and these are not much sought after by shooters as the ammo is semi-obsolete, so value maybe $100 plus or minus.

To satisfy my curiosity, what's written on the folded paper note between the grip and mainspring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your reply. The note in the handle was discovered when I removed the grips to look for the SN. It actually brought tears since this gun was handed to me by my late father-in-law who passed away a couple of years ago. The note simply was his name, address and phone number, in his han-writing. I guess he placed it there a number of years ago as identification.

Again, thanks
David

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
You can still find that ammo. I have the same gun made in 1924. Not worth much and not a good shooter. It has the worst trigger I have ever seen on a revolver.

Mine was my wife's grandfathers service pistol for the city of Chicago. Issued to him in 1924. Yours looks to be in good shape. I have seen them at gun shops not as nice as yours going for $200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gun is in excellent condition and shoots without issue. I am able to get ammo for the gun locally, but do not expect to shoot it much. It's basically a nostalgic and conversation piece.

Thanks for your comments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts