The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a slide lock for my IJ .380 anyone know a good sites please?
Also i am confused at the fact every pic. i see of another "pony" always has the RED dot under the safety switch, but i notice also that the ser. no. on these guns are considerably higher than mine, as my pony does not have this red dot.... im wondering if it is just the older model as my ser. no. is just over 500 ie. IJ0005XX. Also can you tell me just what the difference is between the .380 and the .380 acp ?? Anyone help please ??? Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
First there is no .380 ACP (ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol) and that term was never used with the 380. Also there would have been some confusion with the .38 ACP used in the Colt 1900, 1902 and 1903 outside hammer pistols

·
Registered
461 Posts
First there is no .380 ACP (ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol) and that term was never used with the 380. Also there would have been some confusion with the .38 ACP used in the Colt 1900, 1902 and 1903 outside hammer pistols
Not to be contentious but at some time or other the Lyman Reloading Manual sonsidered the term correct. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the British loading for the .38 S&W cartridge was simply called the .380.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the info!! anyone have any ideas on the red dot on the safety??? i thought i read somewhere the first 500 of these was issued to us military of some kind ??
thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Without pics it's hard to say. A Red Dot on the safety was common. My guess it that it just wore off the other ones you saw.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
None of these were ever issued to any Military The red flag ( red dot ) was probably just added as a after thorough.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Of course the ACP designation was used with the .380 auto!
The F.I. gun came about as the result of a cancelled project between The Spanis gunmaker "Star," and Colt Firearms. The gun was to have been marketed by Colt as the "Colt Pony Automatic." Frames were made in the US, and all the other parts were made by Star. The deal fell through, and marketing was taken over by Firearms Industries. As production continued, more parts were US made. After FI, the gun was produced by Iver Johnson Arms. The same basic gun was later produced by Colt, and now SIG.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From the Bersa website. Specifications for the Thunder 380.

.380 Specifications

Model: THUN380
Caliber: .380 ACP
Action: DA/SA
Capacity: 7+1
Barrel Length: 3.5”
Front Sight: Dovetailed
Rear Sight: Notched-Bar Dovetailed
Finishes: Matte Black, Satin Nickel, or Duotone
Grips: Checkered Polymer
Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide
Safety: Integral Locking System, Manual, Firing Pin