The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an Iver Johnson Automatic Safety Revolver chambered in .38 S&W. I believe it to be a third generation based on the facts that: 1) it has four pins over the trigger guard, 2) the cylinder locks in place when at rest, 3) the owl faces away from the barrel and 4) it has a coiled spring inside the grip. I am trying to find out what year the gun was manufactured. The serial number inside of the grip matches that on the trigger guard, H548xx. I am trying to find out when it was manufactured and what variation it may be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!
What johnsxj said. The third model made from a vanadium steel alloy particularly for smokeless ammo. Made from 1909 until the late 1930's. The Iver Johnson revolver was ahead of it's time with the hammer block safety and coil main spring. If your gun checks out in safe mechanical function, it's a 'hoot to shoot!'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your revolver is a 3rd Model Safety Automatic made in 1922 and is indeed designed for smokeless powder ammunition.
Thank you so much for the info.

Greetings and Welcome Aboard!
What johnsxj said. The third model made from a vanadium steel alloy particularly for smokeless ammo. Made from 1909 until the late 1930's. The Iver Johnson revolver was ahead of it's time with the hammer block safety and coil main spring. If your gun checks out in safe mechanical function, it's a 'hoot to shoot!'
Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
The first gun I ever purchased was a well used S&W snub nosed revolver (a lemon squeezer, I think ) that I paid $ 25 bucks for in a Pawn Shop when I was in College. It was a .38 S&W caliber. Even back then it was still hard to find ammo. I'm guessing now days it would be a lot harder. It had a great deal of wear. Side to side play & back & forth play in the cylinder. In the yrs I had it, I probably put a few hundred rounds through it & it never showed any signs of lead deposits from misalignment. I sold it when I graduated to get a marriage license. I should've kept the gun!

Reactions: wabbit
1 - 5 of 5 Posts