The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson excel 12 gauge single shot shotgun

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  johnsxj 
#1 ·
My step dad just pulled his 100 year old Iver johnson 12 gauge single shot shotgun with the serial number 88207D he was wondering how much it is worth.

See less See more
#4 ·

#6 ·
Its hard to place a value on a firearm with one photo. Several factors drive the value of the Iver Johnson Champion shotguns. They were made in 12, 16, 20, .410 and .32 gauge and something called the .44 Shotshell. A general rule of thumb is the lower the gauge, the more collectable. A .410 gauge will always be more desirable than a 12 gauge. The fact that it is a single shot also detracts from the value, a double barrel is more collectable. Iver Johnson also made a Matted Rib single shot which is fairly collectable. Someone removed the original hard rubber butt and replaced it with a rubber recoil pad.

That being said here is the generally accepted serial date range for the Iver Johnson Champion Shotgun. I believe it originated from Bill Goforth, who was the resident expert of Iver Johnson’s and H&R.

All numbers= 1909-1919
1 letter suffix= 1920-1929
2 letters suffix= 1930-1939
All letters= 1940-1956
Unknown= 1971-1975

#7 ·
While difficult to say with any authority based on the one photo you provided - I would also agree with a general value of $150ish. I have a fair number of single shot shotguns incl. Several Iver Johnson's. I paid roughly $125-150 for most of them.

It is difficult to see with the lighting and positioning, but it appears to have some rust on the front foot of the barrel on the upper side. May just be the lighting. No? If rust is up there, drop it to roughly $100 if that.

As stated, many of these Utility grade shotguns were made over the years. Not much in the way of Collector value.

#8 ·
Need more pictures as the value is really based on condition, condition, condition.
Even though there were not as many EXCEL marked Iver shotguns, they're still worth $20-$50 less than a comparable Iver Johnson marked shotgun due to whole "trade name" mindset with buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.