The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TFF, I'm new here, but I've been collecting older guns for about 45 years. Today I'm asking about the pistol shown below:

And the serial number:

I purchased this old beast from a licensed seller on *********. My plan is to fix the cylinder and examine those cracks on the right side to determine if this can be shot. I may weld them from the inside, then grind and heat-treat that plate. If it can be returned to shooting I'll make up black-powder rounds for it. I also want to refinish it.

Thanks for looking, and if anyone has comments or suggestions feel free to send them my way! I have several older firearms that I've saved over the years, and if anyone's interested I'll share photos.

-Old Fusil Gras 'recovered' from south-east Asia(cannot confirm nor deny anything!)

-B.S.A. SMLE made up of parts from many MANY rifles. I call it "FrankEnfield".

-WWII Mosin Nagant long-gun. This poor thing had it's barrel cut down(so not front sight/bayonet mount), was stuffed into a plastic stock(so no way to know what model), and had it's barrel rotated 180-degrees and the rear sight removed. It would not chamber a round, and I think the owner gave up because of that. After correctly aligning the barrel to the receiver it works great. It's now in an old Reinhardt-Fajen stock, and I'm having an old rear sight machined down to a Picatinny rail. Once that's on I'm going to mount a reflex-sight and dispense with a front sight.

Taurus 1911 with the crazy front compensator. Refinished to all matt-black.

Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact, refinshed to all dark brown.

Colt "Police Positive Special" in .38 Special. It's been reblued.

Mossberg Maverick 88/Rolling Thunder. I bought this with a bent barrel. I had a buddy with a Mossberg Rolling Thunder. He loved the pistol grip but HATED the barrel. So I bought his barrel and he bought a new barrel for his gun. The 'compensator' doesn't attach to the front of the barrel...it slides OVER the barrel and is permanently attached. The actual length of the barrel is over 18", so it's a legal modification to the Maverick 88. This gun is refinished in a black truck undercoat finish.

Mossberg 500 tactical. This guy also has the black truck undercoat finish. It's been my EDC in my patrol vehicle for 3 years and the finish is doing fine. Amazing what you can do with a $10 spray-can of undercoat and good preparation!

Mossberg 835. This guy is chambered for 3.5" shells, and kicks like a mule. I had the metal redone in a 'chocolate brown'. I bleached the wood and simply waxed it. This model had some inexpensive rolled/stamped 'engraving'. I may get a pinstriping brush and go over the design in gold...haven't decided yet.

Anyways, that's what's stuffed into my gun safe. I've got several others that my dad and children now own.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That revolver was made in 1919 and as you already figured out is for use with black powder cartridges.
The Iver Johnson built Secret Service Special revolvers (only ones to have the hammer block safety) were a rebadged U.S. Revolver Co. revolver which in turn came about as a way to use up remaining 2nd Model Safety Automatic revolver parts when IJ introduced the 3rd Model (smokeless powder) Safety Automatic.
I actually looked at that listing and passed on it when I saw the brazing at the top post (among the other issues it has).
If you have the know how and equipment to properly repair and refinish it, have fun!
Check the SN on the trigger guard and under the top strap of the barrel to make sure they match the frame as I've seen SSS revolvers that were cobble guns and this one has seen plenty of "tinkering" in it's past.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnsxj,

The SNs all match. I'm figuring that at some point in it's life the original grips got replaced with IJ "Owl Heads" that someone ground off. They don't match perfectly. The cylinder is missing the spring and the little threaded piece that would keep it attached to the cylinder guide that comes out of the frame. It also had a washer with a side cut off(so it looks like a "C") jammed onto the cylinder guide, which prevented the cylinder from seating against the breech-face of the barrel. I'll need to get with Numrich Gun Parts to see if they can get me replacement parts.
Since I know I the grips have been bodged I'm going to replace them. My plan right now is to 'brown' the gun to a nice finish, then fit a brass cap-nut onto the safety instead of that hex-nut. After that I'm going to get some grips(probably from Tombstone Grips) in faux Ivory. I think that an old-fashioned brown finish with the ivory grips will make a nice contrast. I'll send some photos of the cylinder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts