The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really old gun I inherited and can’t find any info on it and would like to know how old it is. It’s a iver Johnson has a really long barrel. Serial 29458. Please help

·
Super Moderator
40,044 Posts
To find out the "real" serial number, which will tell the age, please read this post, then the experts will be able to narrow down a time frame:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson Model 1900. Remove the grips and get the full serial number on the left side of the frame.

·
Registered
563 Posts
From the picture I know that it's chambered in .38S&W, it was made sometime before 1909, the 5" barrel was a factory option, and it was designed for use with black powder ammunition.
I don't remember off the top of my head when they started using a letter prefix on the large frame Model 1900's but I'll look it up tonight.

·
Registered
563 Posts
According to the book, if there's no letter prefix to the serial number under the left grip (shouldn't be one based on the direction of the owl head on the grips) your revolver was built in 1902.
If there's an "F" prefix, it would be 1911. There was also a "C" prefix on the large frame Model 1900 but the numbers stopped just over C20000 in 1941 so it's not that new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts