The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to find out if this IJ uses modern ammo or not and what the value ranges are for it. If it uses modern ammo, what kind and then I'll take it to a gunsmith to see if it looks safe to fire. It was part of my uncle's estate.

Under the handle grip I found what looks to be an R, might be an H. Then it looks like 615617.

Top of the barrel:
Line 1: IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS (and some sort of marking at the end)
Line 2: FITCHBORO MASS USA

On the butt I see
Line 1: PAT JUNE 16 96 AUG 26 96
Line 2:SEPT 6 04 PATS PENDING

Can add pictures if needed.

Thanks!
Ken

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Those patent dates were marked on the butt 1907-1911, but an R serial prefix indicates a large frame black powder .38 S&W caliber second model made 1907-08.

However, check the number again, as the book indicates serials did not exceed 100,000.

The serial no. should also appear without the R on the trigger guard and under the top strap when cylinder removed.

Value would probably fall in the $50 to $150 range, depending on condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was suspecting it was a .22 when I first looked at it, but I am clearly wrong :) I have a 22 rimfire rifle and those bullets are clearly too small!

It sure looks like an R with part of the top worn or not impressed well.

I did mis-type the serial number, had an extra 1. It's 61567.

Looking under the trigger guard I see the same 6 156 7, seems to be a little different spacing inbetween some of the numbers (the first and last).

When you say black powder, that doesn't sound to be modern ammo. Is that something that can be purchased, just specialty stuff, or is that something you have to put together yourself?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
R61567 was made in 1907, so more than 100 years old and deserves retirement.

I don't know of any current source of black powder .38 S&W ammo, and use of today's smokeless powder rounds would soon loosen the old gun's lockup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, appreciate the advice. Is it something to just scrap and get a gift card from a firearm trade-in program then? Thinking it's condition is not worth trying to even sell....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.