The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am also new to the forum and just as I have read in other posts on this subject, I, too, have inherited an Iver Johnson Hammerless, 5 shot, revolver. On the top of the barrel is stamped: IVER JOHNSON ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITSHBURG, MASS. U.S.A. PAT'D APR 6 86 FEB 15 87 MAY 10 87 MAR 13 88 AUG 25 96 PENDING. It has a 3" barrel, an S/N 42613 on the bottom of the grip; it has a flat mainspring but no visible numbers inside the grip covers or grip, but it does have an S/N 51829 on the underside of the barrel visible once the revolving cylinder is removed. My questions are the usual, what caliber is it? What ammo do I use? When was it made? And what might it's value be now (pretty good shape)? It was my father's and before that my grandfather's. Thanks for your time. jmnsr

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The markings and their locations you list indicate you probably have a large frame .38 2nd model made 1900-1901, but there should be a serial number with letter prefix on left side of the metal butt frame, hidden by left grip plate.

If the cylinder chambers measure about 3/8" diameter, it used black powder .38 S&W caliber ammo.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
And without a picture, value is anyone's guess, from the well worn condition of most of these old guns I would guess less than a 100 dollars, maybe a whole lot less, don't know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts