The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Couple handguns, couple shotguns, couple antiques.
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
How about taking that left grip off and taking a picture of the frame. That serial number gives information needed to determine date of manufacture. A picture of the spring will tell if it is black powder only or not!

Reactions: Grizzley1

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... I don't see any other serial number.

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
Thanks for the picture, I guess the experts will know why!! I have learned enough from reading hundreds of these threads to know that the flat spring means black powder only!

Reactions: kristp

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's this....

Topbreaks (Safety Hammer) .38 cal. S&W large frame

Owl is looking to the barrel, cylinder is free wheeling when at rest, for black powder cartridges

Model 1, First Model or Old Model

Single top latch, 100'000 were produced in 1894, serial number without letter prefix, marked on the top of the barrel rib
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.DEC.26.93 PAT'S PENDING

·
Registered
438 Posts
O.K.
Your revolver is a 1st Model second variation that was made in 1894 and is chambered in .38S&W
1st Models without the side pin cylinder retainer and very early 2nd Models had the serial number on the bottom of the butt strap so that's normal.
As has been noted it was designed for black powder loads only! Personally 1st Model .38's are about the only ones in my collection I'm hesitant to shoot. They were only in production for about 2 1/2 years when Iver Johnson figured that the barrel latch wore out too easily on the .38's and switched to the 2nd Model with the familiar twin post "T" latch.
Yours with the release lever falling out I would keep in the "wall hanger" category.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you johnsxj, that's exciting and a real bummer all at once. Id really like to shoot it.. but of course, safety first. I'm taking to a Smith for eval.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts