The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited an Iver Johnson recently and from other threads I've seen I believe it is a 3rd series top break, 3-1/2" barrel, 5 shot, hammerless, Owl facing grip with a serial number of D 92297 under the grip with matching numbers on bottom of trigger gaurd and behind the barrel. I am not sure of the caliber and want to know date of m 20201126_004702.jpg anufacture if possible. I have included pictures. 20201126_112644.jpg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Your IJ is indeed a 3rd Model Safety Automatic hammerless (third variation) large frame.
It was made in 1924 and is chambered in .38S&W (not to be confused with .38 Special!).
The 3rd Models were designed for use with smokeless ammunition and .38S&W is one of the few calibers you might actually find on the shelf these days.
The blued finish and "Perfect" (their name for them) oversize grips were both factory options.
A little over 100,000 large frame hammerless revolvers were made between 1909 and 1934.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info and quick response!

I have one more question. It appears the blued finish on the barrel and cylinder are in good condition but really worn on the area below the break. Is there a reason for that? All the serial numbers match. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Best thought is the frame tends to get handled a lot more than the barrel and cylinder.
It's not the first Iver I've seen where the finish on the frame is worse than the barrel and cylinder.
The lack of there even being patina on the front strap of the grip shows lots of handling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts