The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to this page and im having a hard time dating and finding info about an iver johnson model 1900 that was passed down to me. I know its a .38 but im having trouble determining if its a black power gun or not. The grip os stamped with 18286 but the trigger guard is stamped with c18286. The other thing is that the sight on the end of the barrel is missing. Looking at pictures online i cannot find a barrel that has the rib ontop like mine does. Any help would be nice since it was my grandfathers gun and he passed away.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm no expert on Iver Johnsons, but I do know that the mainspring is the earlier flat mainspring used in black powder frames. The smokeless versions have a coil mainspring. There will be someone along shortly who knows a lot more than I to give you more and better information.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm no expert on Iver Johnsons, but I do know that the mainspring is the earlier flat mainspring used in black powder frames. The smokeless versions have a coil mainspring. There will be someone along shortly who knows a lot more than I to give you more and better information.

That's only true on the Safety Automatic line of revolvers.

JeepDude,
Your revolver was built in 1940 and is indeed chambered in .38 S&W
It's strange that the frame didn't get marked with the letter prefix but the odds of somebody finding a letter prefix trigger guard with the same digits as an earlier black powder frame are about slim to none. Model 1900 revolvers started using a letter prefix in 1909 which also happens to be the year that IJ switched to smokeless powder use. The owl head grips with the owl facing at you is another clue to it being smokeless.

That rib on the barrel had to of been added on later in the revolvers life. Every Model 1900 I've seen has a regular octagon barrel.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
That's only true on the Safety Automatic line of revolvers.

JeepDude,
Your revolver was built in 1940 and is indeed chambered in .38 S&W
It's strange that the frame didn't get marked with the letter prefix but the odds of somebody finding a letter prefix trigger guard with the same digits as an earlier black powder frame are about slim to none. Model 1900 revolvers started using a letter prefix in 1909 which also happens to be the year that IJ switched to smokeless powder use. The owl head grips with the owl facing at you is another clue to it being smokeless.

That rib on the barrel had to of been added on later in the revolvers life. Every Model 1900 I've seen has a regular octagon barrel.
Definitely never saw a rib like that on a 1900. Definitely a gunsmith special at some point in its life.

Something about the C on the trigger guard looks off. Shouldn't the C also be under the grip?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Definitely never saw a rib like that on a 1900. Definitely a gunsmith special at some point in its life.

Something about the C on the trigger guard looks off. Shouldn't the C also be under the grip?
It should be but somebody was having an off day at the factory it seems.
Without a doubt that it's a late smokeless version. Note the double lock system for the center pin.
If you have a copy of Bill Goforth's 2nd edition book, take a look at the pics on the top of page 13 showing the late double lock. The smaller pic of the trigger guard and 2nd lock parts shows the SN with that same oversized "C" prefix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts