The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun has the following words and numbers on it: (I included pictures of this as well).
On top of the barrel it reads:
"IVER JOHNSON'S ARM'S AND CYCLE WORKS, FITCHBURG, MASS, USA.
PAT'D APR, 6, 86, FEB. 15, 87, MAY 10, 87, DEC. 26, 93, PAT'S PENDING"
Above the cylinder it reads:
"20779"
On the left side of the gun it reads:
"W. E. GREGG" (I'm assuming this was maybe the original gun owner)
On the inside of the grips it reads:
"W" with a design around it (Left Grip), "1895" (Right grip, appears to be slightly engraved)
I think its in good shape if it is from 1895. I think it has about 90% left of the original finish. (Nickle I believe). Its mostly worn around the trigger and a couple small spots on the outside of the barrel.
It has pearl grips. I don't know the last time it was fired as I just acquired it. It was kept in the original box, but unfortunately it was thrown out right before I got it.
I would like to know the model of it and also what the approximate value might be. From my internet searches it looks to me like a IVER JOHNSON SAFETY AUTOMATIC DA REVOLVER 1895 1ST MODEL.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your identification is correct, a first model made in 1895.

The lanyard ring is unusual and rarely seen on these guns.

It appears to be in excellent original condition, and its antique status and pearl grips should bring a premium.

Value is hard to estimate as there are not a lot of Iver Johnson collectors, possibly as high as $300 to the right party.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information! I'm excited to know that I do in fact have a an antique gun. I think now I'm going to try and do some research on the name that appears on the side and see if I can't get some information on who he was. This is my first time researching a gun. I think I found myself a new hobby!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that same information as well. The only thing I know right now is that it was in the possession of someone living in Washington, D.C. and that it originally belonged to a family member of theirs. I'm trying to get more information from who I acquired it from. Thanks for taking the time to find that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts