The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson newbie

690 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hrf 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to forums so I hope this is in the right place and I don't offend anyone. A while back I inheirited a Iver johnson 5 shot pistol. It says Iver johnsons firearms and cycle works Fitzboro, Mass usa on the top of the barrel. It has the number 3082 on the bottom of the trigger and Pat June 16 96, Aug 26 96? and Sept 6 04 pats pending on the bottom of the grip. It has a break top opening? I told you I was a newbie!

I would appreciate any info at all. Is it an antique, Is it safe to use or should it be displayed or destroyed? What ammo? I think 38 short colts fit but not sure. Thank you for helping me!

#4 ·
Lily, your revolver was manufactured in 1909, if the gun is in as good as condition as it appears, then it is safe with modern ammo. which is 38 S&W. The gun really looks very good, it must have been in some ones sock drawer for the last hundred years and never fired. The nickel looks very clean and I can see no worn spots. I would put the value at 250.

#5 ·
When hrf says it is not an antique, he means that modern firearms laws apply. BUT, that doesn't mean it isn't old. In order to be classified as an antique a firearm must be manufactured on or before 1898 or be of a type manufactured on or before 1898. For full details Google " 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16)."

#6 ·
Thank you so much for the quick replies and the information. It was very helpful. To Rjay, this gun was kept behind a headboard within easy reach. To Buffalochip, I have followed your google suggestion and other threads and I feel better informed. Thank you for helping this newbie out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.