Iver Johnson Pistol??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dougc, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dougc

dougc New Member

Received a pistol from a relative it says Iver Johnsons Arms and Cycle Works on the barrel. removed the grip and it has 2 sets of numbers- on the side it says U29145 it then wraps the bottom with 995. The # 2 9761 is on the bottom under the trigger guard. it seems to have a safety trigger. 5 shot with a removable barrel. its has been well used. Any ideas on this gun?

From reading and looking at other guns on this site mine is also hammerless and a single leaf.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson's arms and cycle works only used the "U" letter code on on the small frame 32 S&W caliber safety automatic hammerless second model in 1907 and 1908. all second model safety automatic revolvers were designed for black powder cartridge pressures and are not condidered safe with modern smokeless ammo.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

well used condition most likely would be less that the 60% condition listed above.
    bill

3. dougc

dougc New Member

I really appreciate the info. At least I know what it is. Do they still make parts to repair these guns? If i was to be interested in having it repaired.
    the surface seems to be just metal, light weathered metal look. Was there any way to know what the guns original surface was?

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the standard finish of the second model was nickel with blue being optional. there are some new springs available for these revolver but no new major parts, however there are lots of used parts.
    bill

5. pindermid70s

pindermid70s New Member

I got one from my father-in-law about 10 yrs ago. He told me he got it from his father as a young man. My father-in-law was 84c when he died 3 yrs ago so....

It is the 3" barrel length, I want to say that when he gave it to me it had 32 cal bullets with it but they were in such bad shape I got rid if them.

From what I have read it appears to be a second due to the pivot release is on both sides. accross the top it only says "IVER JOHNSON"S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS" starting with and ending with a little weird inbossed X maybe. just below that it says FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A.

On the left side just above the pivot screw it says
    PAT'D APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.
    MAY10.87.MAR.13.88.AUG.25.96
    PAT'S PENDING

The S/N on the frame under the grip is F27439 and on the underside of the top frame after you break it open and unscrew the cylinder is 27439.

What's the history, how old, is it safe to even think about firing it? From the pictures I saw here it is in very very good condition. No rust at all, very little scratching, although the id of the barrel looks like it has not been cleaned in a hundred years, no kidding but not very clean, more dust than anything.

Thanks

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a small frame 32 S&W caliber second model safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number F27439, with patent dates on left side of barrel lug was manufactured in 1902. manufactured during black powder era and NOT considered safe with modern smokeless powder loader

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

bill

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. pindermid70s

pindermid70s New Member

thanks...interesting that it is over 100 years old. When he gave it to me it was, and still is in a wood Cuban cigar box, the box is even in great shape. I'd like to see what a new pistol would look like after sitting in a wood box for at least 60 years when it is already 30+ years old without being oiled. the best conditioned item he passed on to me is a WWII ration stamp book that looks like it just came off the printing press and all the stamps are in it. I am talking it is like it was made yestaerday.

Thanks again.