Iver Johnson Sealed 8 .22lr

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mfezi, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Hi Bill, the sealed-8 .22lr I.J.'s serial number is N195** and think it is a SNUB MODEL 68S (has 2 1/2" barrel)? The hammer spring is missing and the trigger doesn't seem to have a spring either (flops around). Are there substitute springs from modern revolvers that would work? The revolver was in poor condition, full of rust but after cleaning it the barrel and cylinder look fine. I still haven't figured out how to remove the cylinder. I would like to disassemble it and see whether it's worth restoring to shooting condition. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

there are no modern parts that i know of that will work in this revolver but there are companies who do make new springs. try wolffe's gun springs or one of the on line parts supply houses.

the cylinder pin is removed from the front by holding down the cylinder pin retaining lever but most likely it is rusted in place. you will need to soak the entire revolver less grips in solvent for several days or weeks.

normally i would say a sealed 8 target (model 68) is not worth the effort but the model 68S (snub) was a limited production madel between approx 1950 and 1954. total number unknown but not many maybe 4 or 5 thousand out of a production of 150,000.

3. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Bill, thanks for the info. I live in Africa so finding the parts is going to be even more difficult! I have tried spraying the piece with WD40 but think soaking it in solvent is the next step. What sort of solvent would be best? Thanks again.
    Wolff Gunsprings have just got back to me- they can't help. I have sent a few emails to other online parts companies, hopefully I'll be in luck.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am not sure what kinds of solvents are available in africa, but any thing that will desolve rust and powder residue should work. the last time i needed any thing like this i made my own by mixing 30 weigth non detergent motor oil and some varsol in a bucket and then soaked for a week.

something else to check is see what is available in your area that is used in automaobile repair shops for parts cleaning.

bill

5. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Thanks Bill

6. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Hi Bill, as you suggested I've soaked the revolver in penetrating oil for several weeks. Attached is a photo; is the cylinder pin retaining lever the object I've circled? To remove the cylinder pin must this lever be pushed inwards? It still looks pretty rusted in place; would you recommend tapping it with a wooden mallet? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes the center pin retaining lever must be depressed to remove the center pin. what you might want ot do in this case is try removing the retaining lever altogether. it is only held to the frame by the pin in front of the cylinder. most likely the small spring behind it is broken and or rusted in place. with a pin punch of the right size this pin should not be to hard to remove. after it is removed and the retaining lever is also removed the only thind holding the center pin in would be the rust.
    bill

8. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Thank you Bill.

9. RB1

RB1 New Member

I have an IJ target sealed 8 with 6" octagon barrel and serial# 8600 and was curious when it may have been made...

10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

octagon barrel indicates a first model. iver johnson sealed 8 serial number M 8600 was manuufactured in 1939.

I.J. TARGET SEALED 8 FIRST MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME OCTAGON BARREL) -----------------------------1932-1941
    This revolver is the first major improvement of the solid frame double action model since its introduction in 1900. Large solid frame double action with pull in cylinder release; the cylinder features recessed chambers that fully enclosed the cartridge case head. Grips are one piece checkered wood. Caliber: 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Barrel shape is octagon; barrel lengths of 6 inches and 10 inches; Weight: 6 inch barrel 24 ounces, 10 inch barrel 27 ounces; Height with out grips 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches, 10 inch barrel 14 ¾ inches. The 1938 catalog gives this revolver a model number: 6 inch barrel Model 68, 10 inch barrel Model 78. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$125

I.J. TARGET SEALED 8 SECOND MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME ROUND BARREL)----------------------------------1947-1954
    The TARGET SEALED 8 was also reintroduced after WW II with only minor modifications. The barrel shape is round and a new 4¼ inch length added. Does not have the “Hammer the Hammer” action, but does have the recessed chambers in the cylinder. Blue finish only with oversize checkered grips of wood or plastic, pull pin cylinder released. Caliber, 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Barrel lengths: 4 ½ and 6 inches; Weight; 4 ½ inch barrel 22 ½ ounces, 6 inch barrel 24 ounces; Height without grips 3 7/8 inches: Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 4 ½ inch barrel 9 ¼ inches, 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches. Model number continued to be 68.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100$=$240 60%=$120

I.J. SEALED 8 SNUB MODEL 68S
    (LARGE FRAME ROUND BARREL)----------------------------------1952-1954
    Large solid frame with pull pin cylinder release, blue finish only, does not have Hammer the Hammer action. Grips are small pocket size, two piece wood. Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity, cylinder has recessed chambers; Barrel length 2 ½ inches; Weight 20 ½ ounces; Height 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall all length 6 ¾ Inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUES: 100%=$265 60%=$135

bill

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

Hi Bill---I have an IJ target sealed 8 with 6" octagon barrel and serial#21xx with a 3/4" 'pin' at the base of its smooth grips. it looks its age and the cylender face is somewhat chewed up from dry firing. lock-up is tight & it shoots very well. can you help me with its born-on date & value?
    also have 2 #73xx's. one is VG and the other is a parts gun.
    thank you

mfezi-- hi & what part of africa? my wife is from Cape Town via J"berg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

cluade,
    your sealed 8 target was manufactured around 1933. see above for values.

bill

13. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Hi Bill

Well the revolver has been soaking in solvent for months and I'm finally able to disassemble it. Under the grime and surface rust, it is in pretty good condition; the only things that need replacing are all the various springs which have lost their temper. I have removed the retaining lever but still can't get the center pin to come out (although it rotates freely). Can I drift it out with a punch from the hammer side? Could there be anything else holding the pin in place? Thanks!

14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

some time that is what it takes to free the cylinder. try to use a punch as close to the diameter of the center pin as you can get.
    bill

15. mfezi

mfezi New Member

Hi Bill, that did the trick thanks! Now I need to source springs; would some parts from the I.J. 55SA Cadet (and similar models) possibly be inter-changeable? My Sealed-8 is a family heirloom and would really like to get it shooting again. The bore and chambers are spotless.