Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TristanAD, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TristanAD

TristanAD New Member

Please guide me in the right direction if I'm not posing in the correct thread.

To the point,
    My grandfather has a
    - I.J. Target Sealed 8 -

I.J.A & C. WKS -Fitchburg Mass U.S.A- Serial Number M83591. My grandfather recently obtained this pistol and was curious as to how old and value of this pistol. I looked all over the internet for this serial # and can't find it. It shoots well and seems to be in fair condition, in my unprofessional opinion. If anything else is needed, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated! -Tristan

P.S. Again, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong location!!

Attached Files:

2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Triston. I can't help with a date but I own one myself and believe their value to be in the $125-$150 range. As we're scattered all over the world in this forum I've found pricing to vary on gun values by geographical area but on this one regardless of where you live it won't be worth much.

3. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

Your revolver was made in 1950. The Target Sealed 8 was an improvement on the Iver Johnson solid frame revolvers. The sealed refers to the recesses cartridge chambers in the cylinder that allows the rim off the cartridge to sit below the end of the cylinder.

Supposedly early .22 ammunition would occasionally rupture on the rim and send brass and gas into the shooters hand. The new recessed chamber prevented the brass and debris from hitting the shooter like on a standard cylinder.

Regarding value these can range from $150-$200 depending on condition. Yours shows wear and would put it toward the lower end of that. They are fun to shoot, once you get use to the sights.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    TristanAD likes this.
  4. TristanAD

TristanAD New Member

Thanks a million, friend! Good travels!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
    Shrek73 likes this.