The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I inherited this revolver that belonged to my Great Grandfather. I have searched all over the internet for some type of resource to identify the year/time period it was made and the type of ammunition it uses but nothing really conclusive. I have seen a couple Iver Johnson experts on this forum who could possibly help me with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now I heard that there was a letter prefix on the serial number but I can make out what it is, but the numbers are 18820 both underneath the trigger guard and underneath the grips on the frame. It's a 5-shot. And from what I've heard is that the coil spring in the grip indicates that it fires smokeless powder ammunition. View attachment 118963 View attachment 118964 View attachment 118965 View attachment 118966 View attachment 118967 View attachment 118968

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Not an expert by any means but, it looks like a Small Frame Safety Hammer Automatic, Third Model, 2nd Variation, 1914-1941, .32 S&W smokeless to me. If I'm seeing the serial number correctly as J13320, it would have a DOM of 1932. What has me going though, is that I would expect to see the J prefix with the left side grip frame serial number but, there it is on the trigger guard. A picture of the stampings on the bottom of the butt strap would be nice too.

Reactions: Shrek73

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to TFF.

Not an expert by any means but, it looks like a Small Frame Safety Hammer Automatic, Third Model, 2nd Variation, 1914-1941, .32 S&W smokeless to me. If I'm seeing the serial number correctly as J13320, it would have a DOM of 1932. What has me going though, is that I would expect to see the J prefix with the left side grip frame serial number but, there it is on the trigger guard. A picture of the stampings on the bottom of the butt strap would be nice too.
Sorry for the late reply first of all. I have a couple questions. I don't know what the bottom of the butt strap is. Do you mean the bottom of the grip? (I'm used to autoloader pistols and bolt-action rifles)

And secondly I would like to ask: do you think it's safe to shoot? And if so, what kind of ammo should I get for it? I would really love to shoot this cool little pistol.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You have a 3rd Model 2nd Variation Safety Hammer Automatic revolver. BobMcG was correct, it was made in 1932. It is interesting that the trigger guard has the J prefix, as it should be on the frame.

The butt has the patent stamp, which did not change from 1913-1941.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts