The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this old gun in my dad's garage..he passed in 2006..my mom said she got it from her dad. It's in bad shape but I would like to repair it, if possible, for sentimental value. What I have found out is it matches Model 2, Second Model specs, except for the serial number marked on the top of barrel rib does not have letter prefix..it has 73057..but left side frame under grip has E73057..it has double latch. Markings on top of the barrel rib are "IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A. PAT'D APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.AUG.25.96 PAT'S PENDING"
Any information regarding this pistol would be much appreciated. I'm not really familiar with these pistols, the trigger was locked open, as what the hammer, and what seemed to be the lifter or lever was loose inside the frame. The only actual part I can see that is broken are the right side grip, and the cylinder friction spring?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

The letter prefixes appeared only on the serial stamped on left grip frame,
and the barrel markings and serial listed identify it as an antique black powder 2nd model made in 1898.

My suggestion would be to mount it in a shadow box with the unbroken grip side out.

The rust can be removed with 0000 bronze or steel wool and oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the welcome and quick response. I probably should do just that but it would nice if I could put it back together..lol..as I was trying to figure out how to reassemble it a spring came out of the frame..then as I was taking off the trigger, another piece fell from inside the frame. It would be nice if it actually worked. Any thoughts on parts and reassemly costs?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Numrich lists a replacement for the broken trigger spring and replacement grips, but not cheap, and most gunsmiths won't work on them as they can be a pain to reassemble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.