The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1895-1896 / 32 Caliber S&W Iver Johnson Top Break, Hammerless safety Automatic Double Action Revolver, Small Frame Hammerless.32- 5 shot, Blued Revolver. It is a First Model because it features a single top post barrel latch (release lever mounted on left side of top strap) and flat leaf hammer spring and there is only 2 through pins in the body.The grips are in perfect condition with the Iver Johnson Owl logo. The Revolver has its original Patina it has only been oiled. They only serial number is on the bottom of the handle 4192. I just wanting to see what the value is on it because I'm wanting to trade it online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have a 1895-1896 / 32 Caliber S&W Iver Johnson Top Break, Hammerless safety Automatic Double Action Revolver, Small Frame Hammerless.32- 5 shot, Blued Revolver. It is a First Model because it features a single top post barrel latch (release lever mounted on left side of top strap) and flat leaf hammer spring and there is only 2 through pins in the body.The grips are in perfect condition with the Iver Johnson Owl logo. The Revolver has its original Patina it has only been oiled. They only serial number is on the bottom of the handle 4192. I just wanting to see what the value is .

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3923/iverjohnson.JPG

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
I would guess about $100. THis gun looks kind of ruff and if it is in fact a 1st series is black powder only. I saw one at Cabela's last year and the wanted $175. The gun was very clean and a 38 S&W made after 1909. It would shoot ammo that you can still buy.

I have a 1924 38 S&W that was my wifes grandfathers issue gun from the city of Chicago. I don't think it was fired much if at all. The trigger is so bad on these guns they are not much fun to shoot.

The real serial number is under the grips. It will have a leading letter. That will tell you date of manufacture.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
This is another case of old does not mean gold. So many of these guns were made that only if the gun is in like new condition is there any value. The condition yours is in I would say a hundred dollars of less, probably closer to 75 or less. sorry about that.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The real serial number is under the grips. It will have a leading letter. That will tell you date of manufacture.
gvw3, according to Goforth's book the letter code was not used until 1896 and serial was not moved to left grip strap until introduction of the second model in 1897.

The single top post barrel latch and threaded cylinder retainer visible identify it as a first model first variation made in 1895.

I agree with $100 or less value estimate.

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
gvw3, according to Goforth's book the letter code was not used until 1896 and serial was not moved to left grip strap until introduction of the second model in 1897.

The single top post barrel latch and threaded cylinder retainer visible identify it as a first model first variation made in 1895.

I agree with $100 or less value estimate.
I am no expert on this gun but everything I learned of them I learned here. This gun is why I found and joined this forum. My wife had it and I wanted to learn about it. You guys gave me the info I needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same here. I have this exact model except it is nickel plated and has a smaller serial of 2674. another forum poster " HRF" i see his name in this thread as well. told me it was 1895. looking like i'm not going to be trading this in for my dream conceal carry weapon now. LOL 75 bucks will barely get me a box of .22 rounds these days. :O)

Oh well. it's nice to not wonder. Thanks for yall's posts. I am sure I will be reading these threads for quite a while. Thanks again HRF that advance thing did the trick!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts