Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Iver Johnson year and price?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Crystal, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Crystal

Crystal New Member

I recently rcvd an Iver Johnson .32 revolver. Pics included - Serial from inside grip is K43980. My husband took it apart and cleaned it so I grabbed a few pics. Any info is appreciated. What could I expect if selling? 20170107_180705.jpg 20170107_180742.jpg 20170107_180817.jpg

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

You have an Iver Johnson 2nd Model Safety Hammer Automatic Revolver made in 1904. It is chambered in .32 S&W and is considered a black powder frame. It is not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

These do not carry much value. Yours has the nickle finish which was the standard. You don't have many pictures, but I would value it around $115-$125.

3. Crystal

Crystal New Member

Thank you! Good to know - My father took it as a trade on doing some mechanic work about 30 years ago and it came w/ 5 bullets .32 S & W. We cleaned it up and may take it with us to our next gun show for trade. I appreciate your quick response -

Shrek73 likes this.
  4. Kevin Minto

Kevin Minto New Member

I also have what appears to be the exact same Iver Johnson hammerless revolver except a local gun shop told me they thought it was a 38 caliber. The serial number is J41685 and I am wondering when it was manufactured. Thanks!

5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF.
    A separate thread would be a good idea and pictures are a necessity. With that being said, I have to think that you have the first two numbers of the serial number backwards, as in most likely is J14685 rather than J41685. Far from an expert but, J14685 would appear to me be a Third Model made in 1933 rather than a Second Model as above. If so, it would be a smokeless powder capable frame. Shrek will be able to shed some light on this.

Welcome to the forums as well.
    The old pistol might be of more value to you as a keepsake or wall-hanger/shadow box piece as you'll likely get offered a rather small sum for it on trade in. MAYBE half it's retail value.

Shrek73 likes this.