The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found my grandfathers IJ handgun. It's a 5 shot, .32 caliber(box says .32 on it) automatic safety hammer with a bulldog on the grip facing the barrel. The barrel is about 3 inches long. It's in the original box(priced at $32.50). It's not nickel plated(i guess thats what they call "blued"). J18806 is stamped on the trigger guard, under the grip on the left side and under where it breaks open above the cylinder. Can anyone tell me about it? It has Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle works, fitchburg, mass, usa stamped on the top of the barrel. It also has the coil spring in the handle, not a leaf spring. If it helps dating it, there is a picture stamped inside the lid of the box of a little girl holding the gun basically saying that its safe for a child to play with.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your grandfather's IJ is apparently one of the last made before WW-2, but poses a couple of questions:

The J serial no. prefix and coil mainspring indicate an exposed hammer .32 S&W caliber 3rd model Safety Hammer, but the grips should have an owl's head facing down the butt.

The book lists sn's J17501-J17700 made in 1940, with footnote that J17700 is the last known factory recorded serial number.

Assuming the box is original to the gun, the advertisement lists a hammerless model, but the $6 price versus $32.50 suggests an old adv. that was probably used in boxes for both hammer and hammerless models for years.

Can you also post a clear photo of the gun?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct about the picture/ad. I am at work and googled the image. Now that you mention it, mine does show the Hammer the Hammer logo and picture of the gun with the hammer. I will post a pic of the gun and box later this afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.