The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon gentlemen, I have an Iver Johnson Top break hammerless revolver, The only markings I can find on this revolver are on the bottom of the trigger ring, 24953 Please pardon my ignorance I don't know hardly anything about guns but would like to find out some information about this like what year it was made and caliber. I think it a 32 short but not sure... Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new on here this is my 1st post. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You actually have a US Revolver, not an Iver Johnson. They were manufactured by Iver Johnson using surplus 2nd Model frames, which are considered blackpowder, after they released the 3rd Model in 1909. They did not have the safety devices that were on the Iver Johnson revolvers such as the hammer the hammer action and trigger safety on the hammerless models.

To get an year of manufacturer you need to remove the grips and see if there is a alphabetical prefix to the serial number on the left side of the frame, under the left grip. If there is no prefix it was manufactured in 1911, of there is it may vary based upon caliber. I don't like to guess a caliber by photos, because I have bought several online that were supposed to be .32 S&W but ended up being a .38 S&W...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Your revolver looks to a .38S&W based on the size of the cylinder fluting and location of the hammer pivot screw.
A quick test for caliber is to take a plain old Bic round pen and put it in a chamber. If it passes all the way through the cylinder, it's a .38S&W. If it only goes in about 5/8" and stops, it's a .32S&W.
Most likely made in 1911 as Shrek mentioned above. Letter prefix under the left grip ("D" for .38S&W, "B" for .32S&W) would date to 1923. I don't think there's a letter prefix on your revolver based on the barrel makings which had "MADE IN U.S.A." added to it in 1918.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts