Iver Johnson's 32 cal Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by T. A. Miller, May 18, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

1. T. A. Miller

T. A. Miller New Member

THIS IS A RE-POST -the previous post somehow was removed from the forum.
    I inherited an Iver Johnson's 32 cal revolver from my grandfather. It is nickle plated in fair condition and has holster wear but the bore does have some pitting. Otherwise it is good mechanically. Numbers under the trigger guard are 77445 and under the grip is A77445.

The info on the butt of grip is PAT AUG 25.9X - the X cannot be determined due to wear or being dropped. Then it says Pats Pending.

My questions are: its possible value, when was it manufactured, is it safe to shoot, and how do you remove the cylinder from the frame?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM
  2. justsam

justsam New Member

Safety Automatic made in 1912. Caliber is .32 S&W. Smokeless powder. To remove the cylinder from the frame. open the action all the way until the ejector snaps back in. Hold the top latch open (there is a small hook on the bottom of the latch that holds the cylinder in place). While holding the latch open, rotate and lift the cylinder. There is a notch in the collar at the barrel end of the cylinder. When you have the notch in the right position, the cylinder will lift off. It does not need to be forced. Not holding the latch open is why the cylinder is scored on the outside. Lots of videos on YouTube if you want to see it done. Only a hands on inspection by a competent gunsmith can determine if it is safe to shoot.

3. Rewind

Rewind Active Member

Cool pistol......I have one just like it, not quite in that good of condition. It has a cracked cylinder, so no shooting it.

4. justsam

justsam New Member

BTW, when you get the cylinder off, you should be able to see a third serial # stamped on the underside of the top frame strap. All three matching tells you it not a pieced together pistol.

5. T. A. Miller

T. A. Miller New Member

Thanks for the info. I sincerely appreciate your reply. I removed cylinder per your directions and frame number matches the rest so it isn't from separate parts. As a young person my grandfather told me he served in the Canadian Royal Mounted Police but haven't been able to confirm that although he and my grandmother did immigrate to the USA from GB after living in Calgary Canada for a number of years. I don't know if he carried the pistol in that service and he passed away before I even knew it existed.

6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice family heirloom. Coincidentally I was in a pawn shop last week that had one. It was in much better condition with only the notorious scratching on the cylinder from people not knowing what they are doing. This particular one also had its original box with an asking price on $150.00. As previously stated, you'll have to have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith to determine if it's in shooting condition.

Welcome to the forum.