The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information on manufacture date and approx. value. It's a bit rusty, but it's in one piece. 4" barrel, serial number 13574.
Wood Ball Tints and shades Astronomical object Toy

Wood Grey Handle Household hardware Font

Wood Gas Tints and shades Handle Font

Hand Office supplies Finger Auto part Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
44,807 Posts
There is a possibility that the serial number under the left grip is different (a letter prefix), if so please provide a picture of that. This will explain it:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson 3rd Model 2nd Variation Hammerless Safety Automatic manufactured in 1921. There should be an I prefix under the left grip. The patent stamp on the butt was used on the 2nd Variations. The serial number you provided would have fallen under a 1st Variation which had a B prefix which had a different patent stamp on the butt.

It is chambered in .32 S&W and is considered a smokeless frame and should be safe for modern smokeless ammunition once you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have an Iver Johnson 3rd Model 2nd Variation Hammerless Safety Automatic manufactured in 1921. There should be an I prefix under the left grip. The patent stamp on the butt was used on the 2nd Variations. The serial number you provided would have fallen under a 1st Variation which had a B prefix which had a different patent stamp on the butt.

It is chambered in .32 S&W and is considered a smokeless frame and should be safe for modern smokeless ammunition once you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.
Thank you, you were correct about the serial number. Just curious about the value, I know it isn't worth a lot especially in this condition.
Tool Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Auto part

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would put value around $175 maybe a little more to the right buyer. Its a 3rd Model and able to handle smokeless loads, so that increases the desirability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sir. For that amount it will probably wind up as a decoration in my basement bar. Appreciate the info!

I also have a Colt 1903 pocket hammerless, I believe it was also manufactured in 1921. It's in decent shape. I plan on cleaning it up and taking it to the range someday, very cool old pistol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts