The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently inherited this pistol and was told by a gunsmith that it is requires .32 cal short ammunition.
Butt reads:
JUNE16.96.AUG.25.smear
T.16.C4 PATS PEND
Guard stamp 19787
Will any .32 work or is it S&W or Colt specific?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
If my understanding of Ivers is correct, the ones with leaf mainsprings were black powder and the ones with coil mainsprings were smokeless. Since that last pic shows a coil, it should be safe with modern ammo.

The cartridge is 32 S&W (just "S&W". "S&W Long" won't fit, and there is no such thing as "S&W Short").
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Fastener Capsule

Luckily it is still made, by Remington and by Winchester. About 35 dollars for 50.

32 Short Colt has been obsolete since WW2.

Reactions: Twicepop

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Alpo hit the nail on the head as far as ammunition goes, however, I would have the pistol checked for proper timing as this was a real issue with the various top breaks at the turn of the century. These were cheap pistols at that time and most a copy of the S&W, many did not match the quality of the Smith and had problems. The cartridge is no powerhouse and these old top breaks are best regulated to a frame and hung on the wall.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry, but I have to disagree with Ibmikey99$ statement that Iver Johnson's were cheap pistols. The made quality firearms that were affordable for the average man. They also created some high end sporting shotguns.

In 1905 a S&W top break revolver cost $10, while the Iver Johnson cost $6. A Colt Single Action Army cost $13. Iver Johnson was responsible for numerous firearm patents and innovative safety features.

Iver Johnson was in business from 1871-1993, and didn't stay in business that long without a reason.

I do agree that you should have it checked out before you attempt to fire it.

BTW, it is a 3rd Model Safety Hammerless Automatic Revolver made in 1910. It is a smokeless frame.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ok you got me, actually I meant inexpensive pistols compared to other firearms of the day, my comment included s&W of which I had a large collection but gave the majority to Cowboy Shooters when side matches included this type of pistol.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The 3rd Models were built for the pressure so smokeless ammuntion and tend to be in better condition today than the 1st and 2nd Models. I believe the bad reputation given to Iver Johnson revolvers originates from firing smokeless rounds thru 1st and 2nd Model Safety Automatic revolvers. They were never designed to withstand the pressures of modern smokeless ammunition and it eventually loosens up the action. There is a noticeable difference between black powder and smokeless rounds.

Since all 1st and 2nd Models are well over 100 years old, I am fairly sure most probably had smokeless fired thru them at one time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts