Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Work Inc. - 22 Caliber Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by preciousshadowsx, Apr 15, 2009.

1. preciousshadowsx

preciousshadowsx New Member

Hello there,
    My parents purchased an Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Work Inc. 22 caliber revolver back in 1964 or 1965 as a gift for my grandfather. My parents were just wondering what year the gun was made in and possibly how much the gun is worth. The serial number is: E39238 and it has Ver Johnson's Arms and Cycle on the front of the gun, by the chamber. It has a 5 and a quarter inch barrel, a wooden grain pistol grip [in very good condition too], and it's a 6 shot. Uhm. It also has blue steel. I'm not sure if that's what it's actually called but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to guns, so I hope this makes sense. Anyways, any information on the gun would be very appreciated.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the E letter code prefix to the serial number indicate this is a Model 50 Sidewinder.

I.J. MODEL 50 SIDEWINDER--------------------------------------1961-1978
    Large solid frame double action revolver with rod ejection; Grips: oversize wood western style standard, after 1968 large plastic imitation Stag standard; Caliber: 22 rimfire (.22 Magnum combo added 1974) with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Cylinder has recessed chambers and Flash Control front aim; Barrel length: 6 inches, 4 ¾ inches added 1974; Sight: fixed, fully adjustable rear sight add ed 1974; Finish: blue, Nickel added 1974: Model number changed to Model 50A in 1964; Weight: 6 inch barrel 31 ounces, 4 ¾ inch barrel 30 ounces.; Frame height: 4 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 6 inch barrel 11 ¼ inches, 4 ¾ inches 10 inches. After 1974 this Model had different model numbers for different finishes, barrel length, calibers and rear sight combinations.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    I.J. SIDEWINDER MODEL 50A 1963-1978
    There is no difference the model number was only changed to be like the other 50 Series.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$120
    Deduct 10% for fixed sight model

the 6 shot cylinder is a little puzzling in that most of these were 8 shot. the 6 shot models did not appear until after 1974 and usually came as a combo 22 LR/22 Magnum. another puzzling thing is the place of the company name and address. to the best of my knowledge the model name comapny name and address were marked on the top strap not the frame until about 1974. could the date of purchase have been in the 1970's instead of the 1960's. the only thing described on this gun that would indicate a early (before 1974) production is the wood grips. imitation stag grips became standard by 1968, but the wood grip remained optionally until the end of production in 1978.

the exact date of manufacture is hard to determine. so far i have been unable to come up with any post wwII factory serial number records. so the best i can do for now , based on the information given is sometime between 1974 and 1978. i know this does not fit the given purchase date. how about a picture?

for some reason information of the iver johnson revolver manufactured after 1955 has been harder to come by than information on production before that time.
    bill

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009